wierdest clutch I ever saw

-

valiantpatrol

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Attached is a pic of the oddest looking pressure plate, a 9" slant 6 type, that I ever saw. You'd think in 30+ years and at least 100 clutch changes this would have come up before. Does anyone know what this odd ball is?

Attachments

• DSCN0461.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 568
Yep it's a Auburn clutch used in some (most) slant 6 applications. The HD applications used a Borg and Beck clutch. (Taxi) tmm

thats pretty standard...........really

Attachments

• dr-evil.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 561
I can top that story, and I mean BIG

AMC, "American Motors," Nash, "Rambler," remember them? They used a HORRIBLE clutch design for awhile that had flaws all the way from the doo dad on the hood to the lock on the trunk.

BUT THE CLUTCH, oh, ................woe is me!!!

THIS clutch works the exact OPPOSITE of any other clutch. Please read carefully. THERE ARE NO springs in the pressure plate!!!! THAT is correct!!! The "mainspring" shown in the diagram, a big honkin' separate spring, puts DOWN pressure on the throwout bearing.

THIS MEANS that when you let the pedel UP, the spring PRESSES DOWN on the throwout and clutch fingers and pushes the pressure plate against the disk!!!!

THIS MEANS that every miserable mile you go, down the highway, the clutch fingers, the throwout bearing, the clutch fork, the clutch linkage ALL HAVE pressure on them!!

66-67Self-AdjustingClutch232Classic.jpg

Thank for the responses. I had no idea they were commonplace as I'd never seen one. That AMC clutch assy looks pretty wild. Still fondly remember my '62 rambler american "twin stick" equipped car.

Attached is a pic of the oddest looking pressure plate, a 9" slant 6 type, that I ever saw. You'd think in 30+ years and at least 100 clutch led lights manufacturers changes this would have come up before. Does anyone know what this odd ball is?

Woahh.. This is the first time i ever saw this kind of clutch in my life.. O.O

:happy1:

Yep it's a Auburn clutch used in some (most) slant 6 applications. The HD applications used a Borg and Beck clutch. (Taxi) tmm

Hmmfff... Interesting stuff.. Where did you get this info?

Im a :newb: so pardon me

My '64 Barracuda and a '65 Barracuda with a 273 and 3spd which had been rolled that I bought for parts in 1973 both had that Auburn clutch in them. When I worked for the NAPA dealer back in those days we actually had a reman on the shelf. I checked just for fun since I knew about them at the time, Never sold on though....always sold the 10" Borg and Beck style replacement.

Woahh.. This is the first time i ever saw this kind of clutch in my life.. O.O

:happy1:

Hmmfff... Interesting stuff.. Where did you get this info?

Im a :newb: so pardon me

I have a factory service manual for my 66 Dart. That info was in there. I also saw a Auburn at Clutchmasters when I was getting my Borg and Beck checked out. I should have looked in my parts book (also for my 66) for the 273-3 speed application that Grimreaper pointed out. tmm

hi, the auburn clutch came on flat head fords way back when also. my 273/235 dart had an auburn clutch from factory.

Cool,good to know! Been around cars since the early eighties,never seen one!

-
Back