Wilcap Slant Six to 200R4 conversion

-

805moparkid

Slant and AFX Guy
Reaction score
hey guys i have info coming from wilcap that they have an adapter for the slant six to a chevy 200R4, it comes with everything...

waiting on pics and price... hopefully today!

will update as soon as i know something...

interesting......might keep the / in the wifes car if/when we get to it after all......

200 is a .67 and the 700 is a .7. wondering how it will be with that much of an od up here where we have some steep hills and long grades? guess is like everything else you will have to shoot for the right overall package to make it behave properly....

if i remember correct there adapters are for more than one unit, another words it will work with the older hydraulic units (200 & 700) as well as the newer electronic stuff (4l60e & 4l80e). the 60 is basically just an electronic version of the hydraulic 200/700.......either way definitely interesting stuff, way to much open space around me to not have an od trans....

200 is a .67 and the 700 is a .7. wondering how it will be with that much of an od up here where we have some steep hills and long grades? guess is like everything else you will have to shoot for the right overall package to make it behave properly....

just think of the gear you can put in it.. :)

Sounds great ! Can't wait to find out how it works for you !!! I'm still anxious to see how my Gear Vender unit works with my 4:10 gears !!!:blob:

here ya go guys!

"Ed: We have done the Slant 6 to the Chevy auto but it has not been a popular adapter. Price is $650 with flexplate, hub spacer, fasteners, instructions and of course the plate. Uses the later SB Mopar starter Not included and needs to be modified slightly). Photo attached.

Thanks and spread the word."

Attachments

• Slant Six to 200R4 Wilcap.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 1,716
Sounds great ! Can't wait to find out how it works for you !!! I'm still anxious to see how my Gear Vender unit works with my 4:10 gears !!!:blob:

It will act like a 3.20:1.

That's a nice hiway cruise gear...

A little over 2,300 rpm @ 60mph, and about 2,700 @ 70 with a 28"-tall tire.

You'll have a little converter slip to add to those numbers, but not much.

If it runs mid-90s in the quarter, you're looking at 4,800 rpm going thru the traps... just right! :)

It will act like a 3.20:1.

That's a nice hiway cruise gear...

A little over 2,300 rpm @ 60mph, and about 2,700 @ 70 with a 28"-tall tire.

You'll have a little converter slip to add to those numbers, but not much.

If it runs mid-90s in the quarter, you're looking at 4,800 rpm going thru the traps... just right! :)

If it runs mid-90s in the quarter, you're looking at 4,800 rpm going thru the traps... just right For a boost engine!

If it runs mid-90s in the quarter, you're looking at 4,800 rpm going thru the traps... just right For a boost engine!

Dang, Kid; this is a STREET car... not a race car.

If he put a 4.56 in there, that would give him 5,300 rpm through the traps, but it would run his 70mph cruise from 2,700 rpm, up to 3,000 rpm, not so relaxed in an engine with a stroke of more than four inches...

The difference in the two gearsets would probably manifest itself in less than a tenth difference in the quarter; hardly worth it if it ruins his hiway cruise situation.

If he just wanted to go fast, he would have put the hairdryer on it; this is a pleasure cruiser with some balls... a fun car with no complications.:blob:

My 2-cents...

Where's the love for sticks with OD and slants?

Why only do they tend to slushboxes?

Where's the love for sticks with OD and slants?

Why only do they tend to slushboxes?

Personally, I like the excellent 904 T-Flite for my own (turbo /6) application because it has several things going for it that would seem to make it ideal for its intended use in this particular application.

1. It's a bolt-in with no fitment issues; OEM all the way.
2. It's aluminum (lightweight) with light internals (low parasitic drag.)
3. It has a 2.74 first gear available at a very cheap price (OEM 999 stuff that bolts in.)
4. Lots of ancillary aftermarket upgrades available (shift kits, hi-stall converters, manual valve bodies, and transmission brakes.)
5. Easy to find, rebuildable cores in junkyards, cheap.
6. Torque-holding capability, no problem, even with the monstrous 500+ foot-pounds generated by a well-bulit turbo slant six; levels that might be problematic for a slant-six clutch in a conventional 4-speed car setup.
7. Keeps the turbo spooled 100-percent of the time during a competition run (the clutch is never "in") for better power output from the engine.
8. No missed shifts.
9. No clutch linkage to deal with, on any level... not in the way or other issues.
10. Ostensibly, more consistent drag strip times, depending on how good a driver you are.....
11. Easier to spool the turbo upon launch with an automatic.

This list relates to a race car only. Street versions would have a different protocol, dealing with overdrive, gas mileage, fun-to-drive quotient, etc...

Just MY 2-cents...:happy1:

I just got off the phone with Larry at Wilcap (805) 481-7639. He says they haven't done a /6 to Chevy adapter in 5 years and the owner refuses to do them again.

805moparkid, who did you talk to and when? There is no one there named Ed and never has been.

I just got off the phone with Larry at Wilcap (805) 481-7639. He says they haven't done a /6 to Chevy adapter in 5 years and the owner refuses to do them again.

805moparkid, who did you talk to and when? There is no one there named Ed and never has been.

I think the "ED" in that quote was a reference to the editor.... I believe that quote came out of a magazine and was attributed to "ED"... a moniker for the editor.

Too bad that they are no longer available. That 200 4-R is a great match for a '6. It's the transmission used in all the turbocharged Buick Grand Nationals.

I think the "ED" in that quote was a reference to the editor.... I believe that quote came out of a magazine and was attributed to "ED"... a moniker for the editor.

Too bad that they are no longer available. That 200 4-R is a great match for a '6. It's the transmission used in all the turbocharged Buick Grand Nationals.
Ah, my bad. Didn't mean to come off wrong, just frustrated after following leads on Wilcap, Riley, QuickTime, TCI, etc all day and getting nowhere.

Ah, my bad. Didn't mean to come off wrong, just frustrated after following leads on Wilcap, Riley, QuickTime, TCI, etc all day and getting nowhere.

No problem!

It's a shame that the folks at Gear Vendors have never offered .67 or .70:1 ratio unit, Their "gear-splitter" .80:1 ratio works well for that but isn't enough of an overdrive to justify the cost, in my opinion.

It's compact enough not to require the major surgery to the floorpan and crossmember required to get an A-500 or A-518 into an A Body.

I keep hoping they will change their minds, but they don't seem to be going in that direction...

Thank goodness for drop-out third members! :)

Just make one...beefy plate, find your center and drill. spacer hub is same. Someone with a waterjet access should be able to punch one of these out in about 10 minutes after programming?

-
Back