will 17" rims fit ?

-

purplescamper

Reaction score
I have a 73 Plymouth scamp v8 car the front has a hd 383 torsion bars and I'm running
205 15/60 tires on 7" rims.
the rear has 5 leaf hd. springs with 245 15/60 on 8" rims.
I was thinking about putting on 17" mopar rallye rims the only avalible widths are 8" or 9"
I was hoping to put the smaller width rims on the front and the larger on the rear.
will these rims work ? and how large of a tire can I mount on these rims ?
as always thanks

100_2029.JPG

Just depends on width / backspace. Ma never made any 17" Ralleye wheels "factory" so they are some sort of repop/ aftermarket.

If you're talking about the Year One 17" rallye wheels, no, they do not fit A-bodies well. They don't have enough backspacing for most A-body's. I have seen them on a Barracuda, but barracuda's have more room than Dart's do because of the shape of their fenders. And even they don't really have enough room to run a decent sized tire on those rims.

They only come in 17x8 and 17x9, and a 9" wide rim on a Dart with the stock spring locations is a bit of a stretch anyway, overkill because the widest tire you can reasonably fit on most Dart's with the proper backspacing and no suspension or body modifications is a 245 anyway.

Just depends on width / backspace. Ma never made any 17" Ralleye wheels "factory" so they are some sort of repop/ aftermarket.
of coarse your right, but I think they look better then what I got on my car. the front is a 7" wide rim and it looks like I got a 3 1/4" backspace the rear is 8" wide by a 4" back space

If you're talking about the Year One 17" rallye wheels, no, they do not fit A-bodies well. They don't have enough backspacing for most A-body's. I have seen them on a Barracuda, but barracuda's have more room than Dart's do because of the shape of their fenders. And even they don't really have enough room to run a decent sized tire on those rims.

They only come in 17x8 and 17x9, and a 9" wide rim on a Dart with the stock spring locations is a bit of a stretch anyway, overkill because the widest tire you can reasonably fit on most Dart's with the proper backspacing and no suspension or body modifications is a 245 anyway.
that's what I got on the back...I figured with the 17" wheels/tires it would handle better

What 72 said. They are more for the B and E body crowd. You'll need custom rims if you don't want to mess with spacers and modifying rotor hub, etc and have them fit correctly. Do you want staggered or to be able to rotate?

that's what I got on the back...I figured with the 17" wheels/tires it would handle better

It will, but you still need to have the proper backspacing. The 17x8's have 4.25" of backspace, the 17x9's have 5". In the back that might work, but in the front it isn't enough. The narrowest tire that will be the proper size to fit the car that you should run on an 8" wide rim is a 225. But a 225/50/17, or even a 225/45/17, will stick out an extra 1/4" beyond what the 275/35/18's that I have on my Demon tribute. That won't work. If it would, I'd be running 285's. But as it is the 275's on my car barely clear the fenders. A 215/50/17 would work, but the widest rim they're recommended for is a 17x7.5. Yes, you could probably squeeze it onto a 17x8, but it's not the way to go.

A 17x8 in the front needs about 5 to 5.6" of backspace to make it work with decent sized tires, and it needs the 5.6" to use the maximum width tire for the car.

To support what 72 said, for my 69, the front it 17x7 with 4.75" of backspacing (215/45/17 tire) and the rear is 17x8 with 5.375" of backspacing (245/45/17 Tire and with this rear combo I need to roll the inner fender a tad and have about 1/2" clearance on springs at stock location inside). My car is LBP front like you 73 and is a stock A-Body 8-3/4 with LBP axles and 11" rear drums. Your best bet is to measure what fits your car. The 70-up Darts have a more room than the 67-69 cars but not as much as a Duster/Dart Sport or 67-up Barracuda.

Hi, as 72bluNblu indicates the Year One rims won't fit. I believe there are threads on this forum that have indicated that you need 5.25-5.5 backspacing (depending on car) with a 17x8 rim. The Year One rims aren't offered with backspacing in that range.

Travis

To support what 72 said, for my 69, the front it 17x7 with 4.75" of backspacing (215/45/17 tire) and the rear is 17x8 with 5.375" of backspacing (245/45/17 Tire and with this rear combo I need to roll the inner fender a tad and have about 1/2" clearance on springs at stock location inside). My car is LBP front like you 73 and is a stock A-Body 8-3/4 with LBP axles and 11" rear drums. Your best bet is to measure what fits your car. The 70-up Darts have a more room than the 67-69 cars but not as much as a Duster/Dart Sport or 67-up Barracuda.
what might help me on the back, is I have converted to disc brakes

what might help me on the back, is I have converted to disc brakes
the problem is I really like the rallye wheels but the 17" doesn't have the backspacing I need. even if I go with the 15" rallyes I still might have a problem because the backspacing in the front wheels is 3 1/2" and the 15" rallyes in the front are 6" wide and have a back spacing of 4"

the problem is I really like the rallye wheels but the 17" doesn't have the backspacing I need. even if I go with the 15" rallyes I still might have a problem because the backspacing in the front wheels is 3 1/2" and the 15" rallyes in the front are 6" wide and have a back spacing of 4"

You aren't familiar with the concept of offset it seems. A 15x 6" rim with 4" of backspace does not locate the wheel in the same place as a 15x8" rim with 4" of backspace. Yes, the inside lip of the rim is in the same place, but the outer lip is different by 2". The centerline of the wheel has moved. A 15x6 with 4" of backspace has a +12mm offset, a 15x8 with 4" of backspace has an offset of -12mm. Offset describes where the centerline of the wheel is compared to the mounting face, and doesn't change with changes to rim width so you can better compare different width rims. Backspace changes with rim width. Obviously, both are important to know, because you can't just assume a 2" wider rim will still fit with the same offset. But you know the centerline is in the same spot.

FYI
On 30-40 Profile tires I use this chart...

13” = 335-355

12.5” =305-335

12” = 295-325

11” = 275-305

10.5”= 265-295

10” = 255-285

9.5” = 245-275

9” =235-265

8.5” =225-255

8” =215-245

7.5” =205-235

7” =195-225

6.5” =185-215

6” =175-205

looking at that picture...I don't think I would worry about rims just yet ;)

I would recommend you buy offset hangars. They allow 10.5" section width under the rear and basically is a bolt on deal.

Have you researched for images of 17s on Darts?
Or ride quality with HD suspension, and low-profile tires?
Can you guarantee that you will never drop a corner into pothole,or curb it hard enough to destroy the rim and or tire? Is there room in your budget for a spare wheel?
It is a given that Darts will have trouble in fitment of a lot of off-the-shelf combos.My rear solution, was to obtain the wheel that I liked, and make it fit. The wheel was a common 4.5 BS.First I had to move the springs in-board to get them out of the way. Then I had to narrow the rear to center the assembled wheel/tire combo.I did this for the widest tire that would fit without tubbing. Now I can fit anything in there up to that largest size. I fit 325/50-15s into a 68 Barracuda at nearly 2 inches lowered. IIRC this tire on a 10" rim is around 13.2 section width.
I know your Dart has a smaller wheelhouse, but the idea is the same.Embrace the spring moving, and the narrowing; it's not a big expense. Especially if you go to a custom bs wheel, and then break one on a curb. It sucks to wait all summer for another one, and get hosed on the price,again.

Here is the tire manufacturers formula for determining the tire size.They design a tire for say, an 8 inch rim. They mount it up and measure the section width. Their design criteria is that the wheel size is 70% of the section width.So 8inches divide by .7 is a target section width of 11.4 inches or 290mm. The tire would then be branded to the nearest 5mm, in this case 285 or 295; depending on where it exactly fell.IMO this is more or less nonsense. Who in their right mind would mount a 295 on an 8 inch rim.The tire pressure to run the tread flat on the ground would be so low that the handling would be ridiculous. I don't know why they do it that way. They call that 8 inch wheel, the checking width. It basically means that the tire's section width, when mounted on the checking width wheel, will be the same/near the same, as branded.
IMO, the wheel width should be the same as whatever the tread measures.This is how we did it before radials.This is a bit harder to determine with modern radials.
So here s how I skin this cat.....
I use 8 inches for a 245 section width as a standard; and add/subtract an inch for every 25mm of section;rounded to the nearest available size.(25mm being about an inch)
Example; 245 (is 9.65inches, and 9.65 x .85 = 8.2;) rounds to 8",the standard
Example; 325-245 =80mm difference. 80/25=3.2; plus 8 =11.2, rounds to 12
Example; 295-245 =50mm difference. 50/25=2.0; plus 8 =10,.... rounds to 10
Example; 205-245 = -40mm difference. -40/25= -1.6; plus 8 =6.4, rounds to 6
Example; 185-245 = -60mm difference. -60/25= -2.4; plus 8 =5.6; rounds to 6
You can see that the formula doesn't quite work right on the smaller sizes, so some common sense is required,but really; who buys 185s?
There is nothing stopping you from mounting your tires on other wheel sizes, but keep in mind the following;
The correct tire pressure is the pressure at which the tire runs flat to the pavement.
If the tire does not run flat it will wear out prematurely
If the wheel is too from correct it may be hard to mount, and may be hard to run with a correct tire pressure.
If the correct tire pressure is too low, it will handle like crap.
If the correct pressure ends up too high, it will ride like crap.
A target range of tire pressure is 28 to 32,for a street-A; the lower for ride, and the higher for handling and fuel mileage.

Last edited:
^^
10-12 would be correct
On a 10, I have to run 24 psi for the tread to run flat. I had to get used to the roll-over in the turns. I believe on a 12, I could probably run a lil more pressure, and eliminate the roll over
I am,however,enjoying the ride, and not in a hurry to change.

-
Back