will 3 1/2" offsets fit? Alum slots on 74 Duster?

-

john27pa

74 360/904 Duster
Reaction score
I have a chance to buy Two 14"x7" with 3 1/2" back space and two 14"x9" with 3 1/2" back space. All four wheels are old school, car five lug, uni-lug, fit Chevy, Ford, Mopar, AMC. The guy wants $325 for the set and are Fentons. Said they have never seen salt/ winter. They also have the center caps. They look exactly like what was on my car when I sold them almost 20 years ago. I am just not sure if they are the right offset for my 74 Duster. Is this a good price? I have seen used alum slots for 200 but usually not with centers and polished and no winter use on them. What do you all think? I have 2 full sets of 14' Ralleyes but I want to get the wider tires for the back. The 14x7's wont get tire rub on the fenders will they?

I would go with 15" rims over 14" if it were my choice. Nothing but bf goodrich ta's available in a wide 14" radial. A 3 1/2" rear space will work but you won't be able to run as wide a tire as a rim with more rear space.

I was just wanting to get something like 60 series, dont need much bigger. I just want to fill the wheel well up some. I have 14" ralleyes now with 205/70 front and 235/60 on back. Was told that this was the widest that I could get in the back and still be safe. I like the looks of the slots with the yellow body paint I have now.

I wonder if I could paint my ralleyes black, but Im thinking that may be a little much. My duster is yellow with black side stripes and black twin racing stripes on hood and trunk.

So these slots I first mentioned would be too wide? For the tires that will fit and look good on? Hate to pass these up but dont want to waste money with something I wont like.

here is a 15 x 7 , 3 1/2 inch backspace, with a 195/65/15 tire. they do not rub. with a 14" you will have less of a chance of rubbing

Attachments

• d83.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 228
73abodee- so is your rear rim also a 15x7 or is it wider? I dont really want to go past the wheel well. I told the guy I am interested in the rims. His are 14x7 and 14x9. Yes-15" rims would be better for more brands and maybe better look, but he has 4 almost like new original fenton slots. Never in snow/ salt for 300. Im just hoping these will be what I want. I do want either slots or SS Cragars. I think a 5 spoke with black spokes would look nice but oh well.

The 9's will rub on the back. And those wheels are still old metal and also vary lug as we called them.

John - I had a pair of 14 x 7 ET slots w/ the 3 1/2" backspacing and they would rub the front caliper without a spacer. With the spacer the tire rubbed the inside fender lip. These were unilugs also. Dan

Ok- seems like everything is going against me here on these rims. I think I will opt out on these then. I have also seen that there is not alot of tires avail for the 14" rim anymore. They are out there but are getting rare. Im leaning on 15" ralleyes and maybe with a spacer in the rear. I have a yellow car with black side stripes and black twin racing stripes on hood and trunk. I dont know if I want to paint them yellow or black. I dont if the argent silver would look good or not-Im thinking not. Unless I can find some alum slots with 14x6 up front and same or 14x7 in back. I dont mind sticking with 14"s if I can get them in slots. I have 14" ralleyes now.

73abodee- so is your rear rim also a 15x7 or is it wider? I dont really want to go past the wheel well. I told the guy I am interested in the rims. His are 14x7 and 14x9. Yes-15" rims would be better for more brands and maybe better look, but he has 4 almost like new original fenton slots. Never in snow/ salt for 300. Im just hoping these will be what I want. I do want either slots or SS Cragars. I think a 5 spoke with black spokes would look nice but oh well.
the back rim is a 15x10 on a 275/60/15. there is 1 1/2 inch between the spring and the tire. eventually, i am going to tuck the 15x10s inside the well. a 14x8.5 (which is probably the actual width) with a 3 1/2 backspace on a 70 series tire will be close (in the back),but it will not rub.if you lift the back of the car up a hair, it will give it a nice stance and pull the wheel away from the well even more. ive always loved the look of a black center and a chrome lip myself, and if my cragars were not in such good shape i would have painted the centers, as the chrome likes to peel in the centers. 300 for a set of mint fentons is a screamin deal.I have a set of 15x10 and 15x6 slots myself. i have more pics of my tire and wheel combos if you are interested let me know. personally , i have sold or given away every 14" inch rim i have aquired and have never ran them,and i hear tire sizes are really limited, i dont use anything but 15s. i have used 4 to 4.5 1 " thick adapters from time to time and i know a place that makes them out of billet aluminum for 65 a pair and are VERY good and can take a beating.

Pics would be great. That was the info I was looking for also. Yeah- he has the 14x7 and 14x9 fentons that-as he told me last light- only saw 2 years on a car and never in bad weather. I have my rear leafs set at 2" above stock height. But as we both know-14" tires are getting scarce and finding them to be wide enough to fit qa 9" wide rime are even harder and about $150 each. If he had all 14x6 and 14x7, then I would be more inclined. The 9" wide rear rims are scaring me a little lol. My regular email is [email protected] if you want to send the pics that way? Whichever is easier. If you have them on facebook-I have a facebook also-use same email for fb page lookup.

Don't lift it lower it. I have 15 x 12's on the back. They are under the car as seen.

The widest without mods is a 275 60 15 on a 15x8 with a 4 inch back space small bolt. 4 1/2 back space big bolt

Attachments

• dus3.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 157
OMM, your duster looks great, thats the stance and the look im after but with a street radial. is that a 315? 325? i have these old school Kelly Supercharger N50 15s that are like brand new im going to use when i get the Nip/Tuck done lol. these are them on a 15x10...

Attachments

• a282.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 165
Pics would be great. That was the info I was looking for also. Yeah- he has the 14x7 and 14x9 fentons that-as he told me last light- only saw 2 years on a car and never in bad weather. I have my rear leafs set at 2" above stock height. But as we both know-14" tires are getting scarce and finding them to be wide enough to fit qa 9" wide rime are even harder and about $150 each. If he had all 14x6 and 14x7, then I would be more inclined. The 9" wide rear rims are scaring me a little lol. My regular email is [email protected] if you want to send the pics that way? Whichever is easier. If you have them on facebook-I have a facebook also-use same email for fb page lookup.
the only real downfall of a wide 14" rim is finding a tire that would fit and look good. its kind of a trial and error. a 70 series tire is taller but not as wide as a 60. i dont care for a 50 series either as there is a lot less wall and they are even wider than a 60. for a 14 x 7 I would use a 185 65 14 and for a 14 x (8.5) or 9 , i would use a 245 60 14 or similar. its really just a matter of preference in the look you are after. i have cragars,slots,centerlines,and steels all of the 15" variety because of the vast array of tire size options.i am also going to buy a set of 15" rallyes soon because i also like that factory look. i cant find the pics of the duster with the slots (damnit lol) but the fronts are 15x7 3 1/2 backspace with 195/65/15s and they do not rub or hit anything .

Ok- so I am not going to get the 14" slots. Will there be fitment problems with 15" alum slots? Someone posted earlier about the 14's will hit the caliper unless you use a spacer- then it will scrape the fender. Will 15" slots scrape anything without spacers? I may be able to get 15" slots for $50 each. If this keeps up, I will just try and find some 15" Ralleyes and call it a day lol
Im posting this on the main board also to try and get more opinions.

Yeah I am looking at Keystone Klassics NOS 14 x 8 reverse wheels with 2 3/4" Backspace.
Anyone out there know if this will work? I think I used to run G 60-14 back in the day but not sure of what reverse wheel size?
Any help, pics, etc will be appreciated.
Thanks

Keystone Klassics on my '74. 185/75/14's up front and 28x10-14's out back.

SANY0103.jpg

I've got tons of room with them in the back. Up front... my suspension rides too low (even maxed out on adjustment) and my front tires will rub the fenders when I'm turning (my oil pan and k-frame also have massive dents in them from hitting high spots in the road)

My big complaint, I can't seem to find any decent wide 14" tires. I've got a few more sets of Keystones (wider ones), and I was going to go with a tire that had at least a 14" Wide Tread on the back, when I finish installing the supercharger. But nothing like that exists anymore, 14's are getting hard to find.

Even 15's are getting hard to find a wide tire in too, cause I have some 15" Keystones, but can't seem to find any tires with at least a 14" wide tread in a 27 - 29" tall street tire.

-
Back