will a 360 work?

-

Jonny H

Reaction score
I figured I would ask first

Car: 66 Barracuda 273/auto

I relative has given me a 360 mid 70's he said it was out of a truck, low miles ran good when he pulled it needs heads but he has some rebuilt 318 heads for it, he has a car oil pan for it.

what kinda of issues will I running into putting 318 heads on a 360?
I know there will be a motor balance problem.
will the after market (old Summit) 4bbl manifold and Holly 650 carb work on that 360/318 combo.

any and all info and/or insight is highly appreciated

Jon

If using your existing tranny, you will need a ring to fill the space between your small-snout torque converter and the 360's crank hole.

There is a "SB Mopar engine" book that discusses swapping parts. I recall many people have used 318 heads on a 360. Some even put the Magnum heads on, which gives many issues (oiling, intake bolts). I recall even reading of 273 heads because of the smaller chamber (for higher compression).

It's a "bolt in."

Depending on the specific 318 heads, they'll raise compression and will have smaller ports than the 360 heads. Should be a "torque monster."

You'll have to fiddle with the engine brackets. I actually modified the stock 273/ 67 brackets when I put my 360 in.

My opinion for balance, is to spend the extra bucks and get an aftermarket (B&M, etc) flex plate with the balance weights on. That way, if you ever stick another engine in, you won't have to change the torque converter.

Your torque converter might have the early small pilot in the crank, ??

I swapped from a 318 to a 360 in my 69 cuda. The 360 will have a different timing chain cover and the timing marks will be on the opposite side. Water pump has the lower hose on the opposite side as well. If you put your early water pump on it, it is a pain to see the timing marks. If you swap the timing cover, you will need to address the mark in the wrong place on the balancer. (not a huge deal). I ended up just putting a newer radiator in mine with the lower hose on the correct side for the newer engine and used the water pump and timing cover from the 360.

Exhaust needs to be addressed.. (318 heads probably have smaller ports like the 273, the 360 has a lot bigger ports and did not fit my original 318 mflds.)

one of the motor mounts is different (tabs on block are cast different) I think it is driver side. Pretty easy fix with a couple washers or a different mount.

You will need a different torque converter or a flexplate with the weights on it instead of on the converter like the stock 360.

Yes,it wil.You might ask if it has a cam.You will have tons of low end,and probably need pump premium.You will need a 360 flexplate,problem solved.Be a quick car,if it goes in that sweet Cuda.

I figured I would ask first

Car: 66 Barracuda 273/auto

I relative has given me a 360 mid 70's he said it was out of a truck, low miles ran good when he pulled it needs heads but he has some rebuilt 318 heads for it, he has a car oil pan for it.

what kinda of issues will I running into putting 318 heads on a 360?
I know there will be a motor balance problem.
will the after market (old Summit) 4bbl manifold and Holly 650 carb work on that 360/318 combo.

any and all info and/or insight is highly appreciated

Jon

issues putting 318 heads on a 360...the compression will be raised about 1 full point due to the small combustion chamber...the 360 will run out of breath around 4500 rpm due to the small valves and small ports of the 318 head....

the intake ports might be a little larger then the small port 318 heads....so there could be a mismatch at the intake port...

thanks for the replies
he said he had an after market cam for it but that he thought it had to much lift for the 318 heads so I am not sure what it take to use it or just leave the stock one in it
I may have to wait until I pick it up and check it all out.

this is the manifold I have for it

Attachments

• MAN1.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 95
  • man2.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 97
-
Back