will a 72 front end fit on my 74?

-

74dodge

Reaction score
i know the backend will look kinda funny and not match up but ive always loved the front end of the 72 darts but i have a 74 which isnt exactly the most appealing front end so im wondering will a front end off a 72(grill,headlights,trim,the little top and side peices) fit on my 74?are the front quarter panels the same?any info would be greatly appreciated.also on another note how big a tire can i fit front and back stock on my 74 dart swinger just out of curiousity im looking for a new set of rims soon

If you do the entire front sheet metal than I think so, but not just parts. I'm going through the mistake of buying '72 Valiant hood, grille, vallance, bumper and trim only to find that the '75 "big bumper cars" have longer fenders! (I was trying to find out if the inner fenders were the same, but I doubt it.

I have put 70-72 on 73 up. Just change the front clip its easy,hood, fenders(not inner fenders) grill and bumper and a valiance.(drill holes for the earlier bumper in the frame) . As far as the rear goes take the back bumper from a 70- 73 remove the brakets and lights. Take the bumper off your 74. Holed the 70-73 rear bumper up to the car were you want it, mark out the holes you need to make to fit the lights, and the holes you need to drill to bolt the bumper to car. bolt on some 73 down quarter extentions drill holes for to mount the valiance, done. I'm a hobbiest and not pro and It took about 10 hours to do this, its easy. I did this on my 74 race car and pick up a .50 and the 74 now looks like a 70 dart.

If you do the entire front sheet metal than I think so, but not just parts. I'm going through the mistake of buying '72 Valiant hood, grille, vallance, bumper and trim only to find that the '75 "big bumper cars" have longer fenders! (I was trying to find out if the inner fenders were the same, but I doubt it.

This scares me because I plan on doing this!

I have the front end of a 72 on my 74. There are just a couple of differences one was where the bumper brackets bolts on. The holes are there where the 72 brackets need to bolt up but the inserts that the bolts thread into aren't.
I happened to have a 72 that I was parting out so my fix was to cut the inserts out of the 72 frame and weld them into the 74s.
And one bolt hole that holds the fender to the radiator support is not there, but it's in a location where you can't see it so I just drilled a hole through the support.
Other then that the front end transformation was fairly easy.
If you would like to see it click on the thread below my name. Good luck!

I have the front end of a 72 on my 74. There are just a couple of differences one was where the bumper brackets bolts on. The holes are there where the 72 brackets need to bolt up but the inserts that the bolts thread into aren't.
I happened to have a 72 that I was parting out so my fix was to cut the inserts out of the 72 frame and weld them into the 74s.
And one bolt hole that holds the fender to the radiator support is not there, but it's in a location where you can't see it so I just drilled a hole through the support.
Other then that the front end transformation was fairly easy.
If you would like to see it click on the thread below my name. Good luck!

Nice car.

Yep it will bolt right up, but you need all of this stuff. I did it on my 73 dart.

Attachments

• Front end.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 176
  • ride3.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 195
quite a few people have swapped plymouth front ends without the need for a swapping set of fenders. For example when converting a 75 to a 72 front end they are still able to use their 75 fenders. Any input?

quite a few people have swapped plymouth front ends without the need for a swapping set of fenders. For example when converting a 75 to a 72 front end they are still able to use their 75 fenders. Any input?

I think your right?

Other than the obvious moulding and side marker differences, I've interchanged Valiant fenders from '67-76. There are some other minor modifications needed like the mounting tabs for the latch support on the '70-2 models and on the '73-6 there is one hole that doesn't line up where it meets the radiator core support on the earlier models but they're easily overcome.

thanks for all the help guys its greatly appreciated im seriously thinking about starting the hunt for a parts car.i want to get everything done to the car before feb cause thats when she goes back on the road gotta wait til all the salt is gone lol

-
Back