will a 727 fit in an early -A body?

-
Thats like my Gf, she said.. will that fit?
I said of course.. ill make it fit. :thumbup:

in the end she was supized how nicely it slid in...

Moral of the story.. You can make anything fit. But when buying a huge tv.. make sure it will fit in your car.

what did you think i was talking about? geez? :toothy7:

I think you just have to massage the tunnel. so i have read atleast. someone here.. if not a few guys will be able to tell you.. :) all the luck man! :thumbup:

I wondered because I put a new tunnel in it when I put pans in the car so I don't really want to hammer it up too much.

anyone ever done it?

Al.

Yea, where the floor meets the fire wall will have to be cut off or beat flat, but it does fit. It's also harder to put the Trans and engine in separately. I bolted mine together and then slid it all in together, and the car has to be off the ground a ways, with the back of the car higher than the front. You could also unbolt the K frame from the car and lower the car down on the engine Trans and Kframe once they are bolted together.
Good luck.

Keith Mopar said:
Yea, where the floor meets the fire wall will have to be cut off or beat flat, but it does fit. It's also harder to put the Trans and engine in separately. I bolted mine together and then slid it all in together, and the car has to be off the ground a ways, with the back of the car higher than the front. You could also unbolt the K frame from the car and lower the car down on the engine Trans and Kframe once they are bolted together.
Good luck.

Which is my recommendation but I forget to mention it. Sorry.
Good call Keith.

Al, it's not a 'written in stone' deal with the pinchwelded seam. Sometimes it will fit with no modifications, sometimes it won't. I replaced the original 904 in my 66 Valiant with a 727 and still had room to spare on the seam. Bolt it together, slide it in, bolt up the tranny crossmember, and have a look-see if the tranny hits the seam. If not, you're good to go.

I had to cut the upper part of the torsion bar crossmember to get a 727 in my '65 Valiant. I replaced the whole trans hump with a new piece I made with my sheet metal roller.

Chuck

340mopar said:
I had to cut the upper part of the torsion bar crossmember to get a 727 in my '65 Valiant. I replaced the whole trans hump with a new piece I made with my sheet metal roller.

Chuck

Wow, Chuck, you really got the goods on that one. I've heard of lots of people that had to take a knockometer to the firewall seam, but I've never heard of anyone having to modify the back end that much. That must have given you second thoughts about installing a 727. :sign6:

It is in my drag car so it really didn't matter plus it made it easier to install the CSR trans shield I put in the car. But I have read from guys here and it does puzzle me that mine would not fit but others do.

Chuck

i'm scared to bring out the hammer as I already painted under the hood including the firewall and tranny tunnel!

Maybe I'll just call Summit and buy the TCI 904.
thanks
Al.

340mopar said:
It is in my drag car so it really didn't matter plus it made it easier to install the CSR trans shield I put in the car. But I have read from guys here and it does puzzle me that mine would not fit but others do.
Chuck

It seems funny everyone had different fitment problems, When I put the 727 in my 66 Valiant, when I pushed it up to bolt it on the rear mount it hit the welded lip on the trans tunnel, after cutting if off with a cut off wheel she fit and I don't remember it hitting under the trans mount or even coming close enough to cause me trouble.
Even when I put the larger bell housing on my 65 Cuda it hit in the same spot.
Goes to show you, every car came off the line slightly different. But everyone got around the problem!

Keith, I didn't explain it very well but it was the top part of the torsion bar cross member that hit. The part that is welded to the floor that stretches across the car that's kind of a channel iron. The tranny cross member and mount themselves worked fine.

Chuck

I am runing a 64 dart gt with a 727, was a tight fit as I recall years ago. I did a little modifing to the firewall to floor board seem. The lip was rubbibg the case. But everything else was just fine and very snug.

-
Back