Will a stock pump support 400 HP??????

-

duster360

Reaction score
I have a 67 Dart with roughly 400 horsepower. Would a stock pump support that power to 6000 rpm? This is a street car. Combo is 340 with roughly 400 hp, 4 speed with 3.55 gears. All the mechanical pumps I see on the Summit Racing site, I would need a regulator. Looks like it goes from a 25 gph stock pump to a 110 gph pump with nothing in between. All the higher GPH pumps need a regulator because they all start at 6.9 psi minimum and go up from there. What happen to all the in between pumps that were good for street use?

Seems to work on my car , no problems so far . 425+ hp .

Good advice on the mechanical pump. I went to an Edelbrock electric street pump with a freindly psi rating for the carb. (You'll need the installation kit as well. Wires and relay. It installs easy!)

that is a good question
I dropped my 360 off at MRL last week and he said he was intending to use the (stock style replacement) pump I have on there

shooting for anywhere between 450 and 480 HP I think

I would imagine if he thought the pump wouldn't keep up he would have suggested something larger

Ran one on my Duster that I drag raced and it worked fine for years, I was going 11.90's with the car

My Carter started putting out 13 psi after 3 years for some reason so I switched to the Holley , but yes it will support 400 hp easy mine makes 520 hp and has never starved .

400 hp requires 200 lbs of fuel (gas) per hour. Gas weighs 6 lbs per gallon so you need 33 gallons per hour to sustain 400 hp.

"Stock pump." If you could go back in time and get what was used on the T/A or for B/RB, the 440-6 then yes. "stock pumps" aint all the same.

Just curious where this comes from?
Someone that runs on Daytona full out for hours at a time , most mere mortals are lucky to use 70 hp most the time , but some need 400 hp full time .

that is a good question
I dropped my 360 off at MRL last week and he said he was intending to use the (stock style replacement) pump I have on there

I would imagine if he thought the pump wouldn't keep up he would have suggested something larger
What does he know , 400 hp needs 200 galloons per hour , cause our cars are on a treadmill using all 400hp ALL the time . ;-)

that is a good question

Should be fine. The two needle and seats are what .110 each? Most important thing you can do is up the supply line size to the pump. The big massive electric pumps were more for the g force effects of the fuel in the line.

Just curious where this comes from?

Chemistry and Thermodynamics. It takes roughly 1/2 pound of gasoline to make one horsepower for one hour. So 400 hp requires 200 lbs of gas per hour.

This applies to all engines but some modern designs are a little more efficient. A super efficient engine design might be down in the 4/10 lb of gas per hour range but I don't think you'll find many SB or BB Mopar engines like that.

1/2 lb per hp is a good rule of them for any musclecar engine. Even works for a lawnmower engine. 3 hp for one hour of mowing will use 1.5 lbs of gas which is 1 qt.

If you want to know how much air the engine will need you just multiply by the AF ratio. So 400 hp will use 200 lbs of fuel and 2400 lbs of air at a 12:1 ratio. That is about 34,000 cubic feet per hour or roughly 600 cubic feet per minute. So a 600 cfm carb should be fine.

Look at carter mechanical muscle carb series fuel pumps at summit.
They are like $35 has plenty of fuel pressure for my 340.

I have a carter street/strip fuel pump on my 360 and it put out 9 psi new out of the box, regulator required.

Chemistry and Thermodynamics. It takes roughly 1/2 pound of gasoline to make one horsepower for one hour. So 400 hp requires 200 lbs of gas per hour.

This applies to all engines but some modern designs are a little more efficient. A super efficient engine design might be down in the 4/10 lb of gas per hour range but I don't think you'll find many SB or BB Mopar engines like that.

1/2 lb per hp is a good rule of them for any musclecar engine. Even works for a lawnmower engine. 3 hp for one hour of mowing will use 1.5 lbs of gas which is 1 qt.

If you want to know how much air the engine will need you just multiply by the AF ratio. So 400 hp will use 200 lbs of fuel and 2400 lbs of air at a 12:1 ratio. That is about 34,000 cubic feet per hour or roughly 600 cubic feet per minute. So a 600 cfm carb should be fine.

Thanks. Where does the 1/2 lb of gasoline for one hp-hr come from? Is it based on btu content multiplied by an efficiency factor? Or something else?

that is a good question

what is he building you?im wanting to know.im jealous

what is he building you?im wanting to know.im jealous

not sure if it is something to be jealous about, I intended to have this done later, rather then sooner, but I threw a rod bearing and that kinda forced my hand

Mike will take my 75 360 and add the following :

SCAT Hyper/cast stroker kit balanced internal

Timing tensioner

Main Studs

New Damper(for internal balance)

Gasket kit

Prime/paint

Bore/hone cylinder w/plate

Deck block

Main hone w/studs

Stage 2 head porting w/HP valve job

Block oiling mods, de-burring, cleaning

Assembly

$3500

Add $525 for dyno with oil, filter fuel

Add $450 Proform 750 carb w/Russell fuel line

Add $50 for dist recurve if needed

Add $160 for 2.02/1.60 HP valves and lock kit

since I got that quote from him I figured out the skip white distributor I have on there isn't something he can recurve so he will work over the stock distributor and use a FBO box and coil instead

(be on the lookout for the skip white distributor and coil in the for sale section soon)

I think the upper part of the quote should yield in the 430-450 HP area, with a bit more coming from the larger valves

Thanks. Where does the 1/2 lb of gasoline for one hp-hr come from? Is it based on btu content multiplied by an efficiency factor? Or something else?

Yes, that is the general calculation. The 1/2 lb per HP-hr is very well established rule of thumb. Some engines are more efficient but the 1/2 lb rule gets you close and is easy to remember.

-
Back