Will any 8 3/4 fit???

-

Meet-Joe-"Dart"

Reaction score
Just a quick qestion here... I found an 8 3/4 localy. The owner says its out of a 74 Cuda... not a Sure Grip. Can I use this in my 70 Dart? Can I up grade to a Sure Grip/Posi stlye?

Many thanks:cheers:

E-body rear end housing will NOT fit a-body, without MODIFICATION. In my opinion. it is NOT worth the time. However, the "PUMPKIN" from ALL 8 3/4 is the same.

Thanks for the responses... I am having trouble finding an 8 3/4 in my area. He said he wanted to use it in his Dart but it was too wide. I'm wondering if its worth going through the trouble of having it shortened? Would i need custom made axel's? Or can they be cut to length? And will I have to go and find my own backing plates? Or will the cuda ones work for me?

Big thanks!!

You can use off the shelf axle shafts if you have it narrowed correctly, so if you have it cut to a body width you would need a body shafts,
What kind of car is it going in? Street? Strip? Full restoration? It will cost you an arm and a leg to have it narrowed, get axle shafts, add a sure grip, rebuild the brakes, rebuild the center section. May be a better choice to use a dufferent axle thats ready to go like an 8 1/4 or even the ford 8.8

The 8.8 might be a better choice .There's a couple threads that go into the swap with lots of good info on what years are the best. Definitely gonna be cheaper than the E body rear. I got lucky and found a flipped old mopar(62,63 Belvedere ). Being the narrowest B body rear, I don't have to narrow it but the spring perches need to be moved, and newer axles will need to be purchased.

I did the 8.8 swap in my duster, i think it was either 94 or 96 up explorer that had disk brakes and all of them had 31 spline shafts. Alot of people say to use the ranger rear end but their drum brakes and have 28 spline shafts. The mustang rear will fit without being narrowed but only has 28 splines also unless it was a gt then it had 31. The only thing needed for the explorer is to cut three inches from the drivers side axle tube and run two passenger side shafts and your done aside from new spring perches which would be needed anyway. Also the yoke will have to be figured out since ford uses a flat yoke. Almost all of the explorers had 3.73 limited slips also some even had 4.10's if you can find one lol cost me $150 for the axle and another $16 for perches so it was a cheap alternative to the 8 3/4

There was an E body rear in the Duster when I got it. With the right back
spacing tires fit. Only thing changed was the spring pads.

Attachments

• 100_2282.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 278
  • 100_2279.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 299
Like I said above in the Dusters, Dart Sports it could be made to work. I don't think it will work to well in a 70 Dart, the wheel houses are smaller. I could be wrong though. MM put a B body rear in a 69 Dart with the right backspacing and it fit.

QUOTE..."What kind of car is it going in? Street? Strip? Full restoration? It will cost you an arm and a leg to have it narrowed, get axle shafts, add a sure grip, rebuild the brakes, rebuild the center section."

It'll be a street car(maybe once a year on the track) 360, alum Magnum style heads headers, 2800 stall etc...

QUOTE..."May be a better choice to use a dufferent axle thats ready to go like an 8 1/4 or even the ford 8.8[/QUOTE]

Yeah I keep coming back to the 8.8 out of a Ford
, I got an 8 3/4 quote... installed with brakes and a shortened drive shaft for $3200.00... so I'm still weighing my options.:-k

$3200... Holy crap! Is it gold plated? Call Dr.Diff and get a Dana for that price. That's INSANE!

Be patient and beat the bushes. Find a 66-70 B body rear if need be. They are out there and it's not likely to fall in your lap cheap, back to beating the bushes.

Even if you paid $500 for an A body rear, I can't see where the other $2700 would come from!

How much is the E body rear? Get that, pay to have it shortened to whatever you want, probably around 150-250 depending on who does it, then buy axles from Dr. Diff, $300. Still don't see where the rest of the $3200 quote is coming from.

You'll need to buy wheels if you got SBP now.

$3200... Holy crap! Is it gold plated? Call Dr.Diff and get a Dana for that price. That's INSANE!

How much is the E body rear? Get that, pay to have it shortened to whatever you want, probably around 150-250 depending on who does it, then buy axles from Dr. Diff, $300. Still don't see where the rest of the $3200 quote is coming from.Be patient and beat the bushes. Find a 66-70 B body rear if need be. They are out there and it's not likely to fall in your lap cheap, back to beating the bushes.

Even if you paid $500 for an A body rear, I can't see where the other $2700 would come from!

You'll need to buy wheels if you got SBP now.

I am thinking the same... the E body rear is about $300.00. I've already got large bolt pattern rims and tires. Still need a posi unit and axels...

If you know how wide you need the rear, Call Cass and have him do an 8.75 housing/axles for you. It's not going to be too bad and will be right.

Finding a center section is easy, especially if it's an open unit. Just to get you on the road, then search for a pumpkin that you want as far as ratio goes.

I have an early B 8 3/4 (66 charger) under my car. Had to move the perches in and measure for correct backspace on the wheels.

If your willing to wait till this fall, i've got a A-body 8 3/4 in my dart now that i'll be selling.
(changing to a Dana S60) in the fall. The 8 3/4 is fairly new, has a 4.89 case 3.91 gears, detroit locker and Moser big bolt axles , no issues no noises,can hear and drive if you want. Thanks

If your willing to wait till this fall, i've got a A-body 8 3/4 in my dart now that i'll be selling.
(changing to a Dana S60) in the fall. The 8 3/4 is fairly new, has a 4.89 case 3.91 gears, detroit locker and Moser big bolt axles , no issues no noises,can hear and drive if you want. Thanks

send me a pm -thanks

Ok I found an 8 3/4 out of a 66 Satellite...294 gears, open diff, backing plates, no brakes. Good price too... can I work with this???

Thanks...

(incededntly I forgot to mention... but the quote I got for 3200$ included the 8 3/4 core, new sure grip, new gears, new custom cut axls, cutting down my drive shaft, full rear brakes/backing plates + installation. I know its expensive... but I thought I should mention all that was included not just the 8 3/4.:-|)

The 66 Satellite rear is one of the best of the factory non A-body rears to use. Move the perches and run it.

At $3200 it is stupid expensive for what's there.

The 66 Satellite rear is one of the best of the factory non A-body rears to use. Move the perches and run it.

At $3200 it is stupid expensive for what's there.

Ok thanks crackedback... you always seem to doll out good advice. I Really appreciate your input.:cheers: I'll let you know what I end up doing.

im running a challenger rear in my 71 twister. all you have to do is move the perches in 1.5" on each side. i did it for the handling. gives you better weigh distribution through the corners. the only problem is you have to have inset rims so the tires don't stick out the side of the car.

-
Back