Will it interchange

-

dart6

Reaction score
Hi
I have an A body 833od trans. Someone contacted me to ask if it can be fitted in his 70RR 383BB 4sp. I'm thinking maybe it can if he uses his tail shaft. Do the BB and SB bellhousings interchange, then there are the linkages to consider

Personally I think this is a bad idea. I would bet there's a lot more need for A body 4 speeds, but I could be wrong.

At least some A body boxes could be converted with the correct mainshaft and housing

But the bell only fits smallblocks.

Also there are different retainer sizes, depending. So if he picks up a bell that happened to have the hole for the big 18 spline box, the retainer hole in the bell will be too large

What he needs is an OD out of a 2x4 van or pickup

Tell him if he wants gas mileage, swap the rear gears to 2:76s instead.
By installing the O.D. tranny and all of the fooling around associated with it, it will make his car a turd to drive.
The ratios are all wrong, as in first is too low and the rest is a pretty wide spread between gears. He might be able to pull it off because he has some torque.
If he plans on doing burn outs a lot, the O.D. tranny won't last especially if it is an aluminum case one.
In the long run, he's looking at gaining maybe 2-3 mpg on the highway and around town nothing. That is unless he drives it like a grandma, and what is the fun in that when you are driving a Road Runner with a 383?
Tell him to buy a new Focus if he wants gas mileage and be done with it.
JMHO, and my opinion only.

Hi
I have an A body 833od trans. Someone contacted me to ask if it can be fitted in his 70RR 383BB 4sp. I'm thinking maybe it can if he uses his tail shaft. Do the BB and SB bellhousings interchange, then there are the linkages to consider

To use your trans he would have to swap the standard mainshaft to a OD mainshaft, then use his tailshaft housing.

It would be easier and cheaper to get one out of a truck. Pretty much a bolt in. He would have to change bearing retainers, assuming a 4.16 bolt circle, and flip his 3 /4 shift arm at the Trans. The earlier the trans the better. Later ones were pretty cheap by the 80's.

smallblock and bigblock Bellhousings are different. Linkage is a good question. Trucks used a funky shifter adapter and the were no OD B bodies. Will the stock linkage work with the flipped lever? Can one be modified to work?

-
Back