Will not KICKDOWN (340 6 PAK, 727)

-

KIII

Reaction score
1973 DDS will not kickdown when I floor it. I searched and could'nt find anything similar. Do I adjust the same as with single carbs? Should I start somewhere else(throttle press.)? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20111016_103941.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 388
im getting old but I think you have the kick down spring pulling the wrong way.Let me see if I can find a picture for you. John

Attachments

• 69-12%20012.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 316
it looks to be set up like a regular 2 barrel. thats the way we have always done them in the past (BB)

I'm old ,too, but think the spring goes it the back.Maybe, I can't remember, lol. The throtle lever is pushed back. It want's 1/4 gap, in the slot, unless you want to get serious shifts, and use the rod to raise line pressure. I really can't remember, but can tell you that that spring is too big.

A light spring, just to hold it forward. Then start adjusting, WOT, linkage not binding. Lever on trams all the way back(line pressure).

just use the FSM to set the linkage underneath, then play with the rod to carb. It raises line pressure faster.If you have good clutches/discs/bands; it will po a passenger when it shifts into second.

The spring he has on the front of the throttle linkage is definitely much larger/stouter than needed but it's only purpose is to pull the throttle pressure linkage back to idle so it's oversize won't hurt anything other than maybe make the accelerator pedal harder to push down. And note that some linkage setups do have it installed on the rear but it's function is the same.

KIII check to make sure that when you floor the throttle from inside the car it's going wide open at the carbs. If it is adjust the throttle pressure linkage so that it is pushed all the way back at wide open throttle. If it's not going all the way back (or real close to all the way) it won't kick down. If you do find it's not going all the way back and adjust it so it does test drive it and see if it shifts like you like it. You may find it hangs in each gear too long. If it does that back it off 1/2 turn at a time until you get it where you like it. If in your inspection you find the throttle pressure linkage is going all the way back at wide open throttle you have a problem in the valve body.

BTW: for clarification the throttle pressure linkage I refer too is what people normally call the kickdown linkage. Throttle pressure linkage is the factory terminology. And it adjusts the same whether it's a 2 barrel or 4 barrel or 6 pack.

Take up the slack in the throttle cable first. I don't think you're getting full throttle?

Take up the slack in the throttle cable first. I don't think you're getting full throttle?

That's what I thought and is why I told him to do that check first. I wonder if that throttle cable mounting bracket is correct?? I haven't looked at a 6 pack setup very close but you'd think it'd have the cable mounted much higher up and more straight inline so it pulls straighter, not down at an angle.

jgiljum and GREEN 1, if you guys are still ******* around with muscle cars, your not old, you guys are Classic. Thanks for the pic and advice. FISHY 68, did as recommended, 2 turns out-nothing. 2 more turns out-BINGO! Kicksdown beautifully. Thanks!

It's okay the way he's got it mounted, if you go towards the rear the spring attaches to the linkage and will do the same thing. As Fishy68 stated the spring just needs to be strong enough to hold the linkage at zero throttle.
I'm still making the fine adjustments to mine, I'm using a 78 318 and 904 combo and the adjustment is a little different. Adjustment on mine is at the tranny arm, the rod is held in place with a set screw (bolt). I'm having trouble getting the shifts correct, ran out of shaft and had to weld a couple inch piece of bar stock on the end. Move the rod enough to get the arm from the tranny all the way back at full throttle and it's now holding in 1st just a little too long but holding 2nd way too long at part throttle acceleration. Will try tomorrow and back it off about an 1/8" and go from there... It is a pain because you have to pull it up on ramps to get under the car to make adjustments with the 78 set up. I have a feeling I my end up with an aftermarket set up.

-
Back