Will this comp cams kit require machine work?

-

68bb

Reaction score
Hello

The motor is a stock 1970 318. I see comp cams has a kit with the cam, lifters, springs, etc as a matched kit. My question is, can this installation be done with the heads still on the car or would machine work be required to install the springs or seals? the kit is:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-K20-222-3/

Looking for a low cost upgrade
thanks

i would change out the valve spring to the comp 901 which are a single spring that needs no maching to the heads..

depending on the miles on the engine....you can change out the valve stem seals while you change the spriings.

Talk to comp cams. I had them tell me a LOT I didn't know about the cam I was looking to buy. I didn't even know that cam didn't work with my magnum heads. several people on this board told me that it worked with magnum heads.

Best bet is to call/email them.

Drake

1. single w/dampener yes
2. that depends upone what type os eals you would like to use positive vs umbrella.
use air with the piston at TDC for each cylinder and a shaft or cork screw spring compressor.

Thanks for your advice everyone. I will call comp and hopefully i will get a little more help than when I emailed them. It looks like the kits comes with the 901 springs, seals, locks, etc. The cam extreme energy 262 was what I saw used in a magazine build of a stock 318. Car is a 70 dart 4 speed 3.55 gears. Got an edelbrock performer intake and 600cfm carb and stock exhaust manifolds with 2.5 inch dual exhaust. Other suggestions for cam?

thanks

If you have a stock '70 318, you dont have Magnum based heads. you have LA 318 heads. Are you certain you have Magnum heads? That cam will work, as will the lifters, but you will need to address the spring issue and make sure the pushrods are the type that have oil passages if you do indeed have Magnums.

He never mentioned he had magnum heads. That kit will work with your engine and doesn't need machine work to the heads. Install the springs with the retainers and locks, then stab in the cam and lifters. Don't forget to buy intake gaskets and timing cover/water pump gaskets. You'll also need break in grease and break in oil to go with that cam. Make sure you have everything correct as far as ignition/valve timing before you crank it up. As soon as it starts, hold engine at 2000 rpm for at least 20 min.

If you have a stock '70 318, you dont have Magnum based heads. you have LA 318 heads. Are you certain you have Magnum heads? That cam will work, as will the lifters, but you will need to address the spring issue and make sure the pushrods are the type that have oil passages if you do indeed have Magnums.

Rustydusty is the one that said he has magnum heads. Not the OP.

Thanks again everyone for your very helpful advice.
The engine has 40k orig miles and I look forward to a little power boost with the new cam.

Tony

The tech from comp says to go with the 256 cam instead of the 262.

-
Back