Will this part of the harness affect starting the car?

-

Dakota Smith

1976 340 Feather Duster
Reaction score
3289F065-CE05-4364-8F5A-3C3588C1347F.jpeg
This is a photo of the driver side of my 76 Plymouth Duster. It’s where the battery usually is. I’ve been trying to get the car to crank using the key, but I can’t seem to find the problem. These are the only wires I have not fixed on the car because I didn’t think they would affect the ignition. I thought they were only for the headlight. Do you guys think these wires could prevent the car from cranking with the key?

The big thick wire at the bottom affects starting a lot. Has to be hooked up to the black box looking thing. :lol:

The starter relay behind the battery. Looking at the front of it there is two plugs the one toward the rear of the car is hot when you turn the key.

The other toward the battery is a ground that goes to the neutral saftey switch.

Ground that terminal. It eliminates the neutral safety circuit . Warning the car will start in any gear. But this will let you know if it is that circuit that is bad.

Use a test light to check the other wire plug for power when turning the key.

Those are the only two wires that operate the relay. The other wire goes to the starter as the the battery cable. Make sure the relay has a good ground also. It is a real simple circuit. If you don't have power coming to the power wire plug when turning the key it the must be from that power wire to the ignition.

Assuming you don't mean the battery cable (post 3 wag), those wires are part of the "light harness", which includes the horn. It should be a separate connector at the bulkhead, so if you unplug it that will isolate those wires. But, unplugging is a bit risky. The plastic side latches usually break off, and the whole plastic holder may crack. Also, re-plugging it might push some of the female connectors back thru the bulkhead so they contact erratically. But, you need to remove anyway to clean and fix.

-
Back