Will this Plum Crazy paint match?

-

standup303

Reaction score
Hey all, painting the engine bay soon. I went into a local paint shop and the 2 sample cards of PHG plum crazy purple they had did not match at all. He said to leave my front valance with him for a few days and he would do a custom match. Picked it up this past weekend. $160 for the quart.

I wanted to check the match before spraying the whole bay so brushed some of the paint on a card (no reducer) then hit it with some rattle can clear thinking this would get it close. The color isn’t even close but also a half a** mock up. Will reducer end up lightening the color a bit for a better match?

IMG_3734.jpeg

Reducer is clear and will not change the color. It simply makes the paint thinner. I’d take that photo back to the paint store and get a refund.

Yeah, I wouldn't be happy with it. I'd try a proper spray out and if it's still off, take it back and find a new paint shop. That way, they can't say it didn't match because it wasn't sprayed.

Are you trying to match how old paint?
Just the spray technique and the gun you use (metallic pattern) will change drastically the color and how it reflect the light. Brush it on? It’s not rust oleum.
Before you ask for a refund you better spray it and let it dry and take it outside in the sun. Inside lights do not do well with color matching.

Yep as mentioned already you cant expect it to match with brushing it on.
use spray out cards and play with air pressure and distance to try to get it closer.

Thanks all. I will spray it tomorrow and see if it gets closer. If this isn’t it the bays going black

Thanks all. I will spray it tomorrow and see if it gets closer. If this isn’t it the bays going black
Don’t do it lol! If it doesn’t spray out close take it back and make them try again It would be better than black even if it wasn’t a perfect match Cause black sure isn’t close.

Do a spray out card solely for getting your money back. There is no way that spraying that will turn blue into purple. I agree to just get the proper paint and paint the engine compartment body color. You’ll regret painting it black.

Once you go Black you'll never go back.... and folks will laugh and laugh and laugh every time you open the hood. Well except the GM guys, as they'll feel right at home!

Thanks all for recommending going with a spray card. I sprayed a grey primer first then base and clear, came out really close. Close enough for my liking. So glad I can paint the bay hopefully this weekend!

IMG_3775.jpeg

IMG_3769.jpeg

-
Back