Will this work???

-

MOPARJ

What can I upgrade now?
Reaction score
I have access to a wrecked 89 Dodge Dakota with a 8 1/4 rear. How much work would need to be done to make this work in a 73 duster? Can it work? What addtional parts would I need and how much would I have to shorten the shaft to make it work? Thanks.:read2:

If the width works and you wouldn't have to cut it down, then it would be an alright swap. The shocks mount in a different position aswell. Personally, I would keep looking for an 8 3/4" or even better a D60 and do it once. I have a '86 Jeep Comanche with the 8 1/4" in it and it's toast, the truck only has a 2.5L and a 4-speed in it. On the other hand, the 8 1/4" in my '91 Comanche is holding up fine and I wheel every week. What it all comes down to is what's going in the car for an engine and tranny and how heavy your right foot is.

comanchecampbell1small.jpg

You'll find the Dakota rearend is quite a bit wider. I believe their about 63-1/2 inches axle to axle. The A-body rear is only 55.6" so it would have to be narrowed which wouldn't really be cost effective since you can usually pick up a a-body 8-1/4 for $200-300 and it will cost you that much to have one narrowed. That's the only real problem I see. The shock mounting is easily overcome because the A-body shocks bolt to the lower spring mount. You'd just need a set of 8-1/4 spring mounts. The 8-1/4 is plenty tough for your 318 so if it were me I'd keep looking to find the right one. The D60 is great but weighs a ton and is way overkill for your 318. The 8-3/4 would be indestructible and not weigh so much and if you can afford one it's the way to go but they cost alot more than an 8-1/4.

The bare minimum I would ever swap into a car is an 8 3/4". My dad bought a E-body 8 3/4" painted, with axles and a complete gearset for $180 CDN at a swap, not so bad.

-
Back