Winchester model 63.....22LR

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
I have an old Winchester model 63, .22 had been in the family attic for YEARS. For some reason I never thought much about it.

1..I think my Dad got it down and cleaned it once, and didn't do or say much about it.

2..Around high school, I dragged it out one time and it had a cartridge stuck in the chamber. I didn't do much with it.

3..The stock and forearm has some wear dings, as if it's been "banged around."

"Until the internet."

Dragged it out the other night and it simply won't feed the first round, or any other. After looking it over I got on the internet.

I WAS AMAZED

Evidently this is regarded as a very nice little gun, so much so, that it was copied by at least one importer.

(The weapon started out as the 1903, then 63, and was manufactured all those years up until about 1958)

According to the SN it was made around 1941. And of course, like the internet, I was able to find strip down and cleaning diagrams for it, and that will be the very first project

But the end of the magazine follower has sort of a "homemade" look. At least it's very beat-up looking. I don't know whether the follower IS homemade, or just damaged from the internal action.........which "catches" it when closing

If a good cleaning does not straighten it out, then I did find at least one www site who claims to have both followers and complete magazine tubes.

WHO KNEW!!!

is this one of those that have the magazine tube under the barrel and load like the old western repeaters?

they are cool

Pretty valuable in good condition.

You got that right. If it's engraved even more.

1500 basic gun in very good condition to 4000+ for the engraved in very good to excellent condition.

What ever you do Del, DO NOT restore it, unless professionally done.

is this one of those that have the magazine tube under the barrel and load like the old western repeaters?

they are cool

Magazine tube in the buttstock I didn't take any photos this here stolen from the www LOL

winchester%20take%20down%20mod63-01.jpg

I got all excited about tearing it down and giving it a good cleaning, but turns out the block which holds the front forearm on must be driven out of the dovetail in the barrel Evidently there were changes in the later models.

I'll have to rassle up a brass drift to get it out of there. This thing is DIRTY

If the pic is actual do not restore it at all , even professionally. Condition appears very good . If cartridge will not chamber possibly cleaning will solve the problem. I have seen some .22 long rifles take more cleaning time than many high powers. Mostly because a lot of people don't think that they need as much.
Yote

That's really cool. I found one of these behind the seat of a truck in the junk yard a while back. Always liked the old 22's. This thing was made from around 43'-57' I think. It has side mounted sling swivel and a folding fore grip. I had no idea those features were on old rifles. It's not a valuable rifle like yours though.

Attachments

• proxy.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 352
I don't think ive ever seen one with the tube in the buttstock like that

cool

get that puppy cleaned up and lets see how she groups

Well I just got out of the basement. I finally got the operating rod unscrewed (frozen / stuck / rust) and got it the weapon all cleaned up. But the feed tube plunger "did not look right" I think someone tried to make a replacement. It still won't feed. I found a place online for parts, I'll call them when I get time.

According to "everything" you see on this, it's one of the most reliable semi autos ever made, and must be "something" as it was made for many years, and copied by others. So we'll see. it may be on it's way to a smith, before this is over.

these super well made old guns are like our old cars, but better! just cool to me.

down the road is town of Miller, MO. pop. maybe 400. the hardware store there (one of 3 businesses) sells huge amounts of guns and ammo. on a sat AM there are half doz people in there at any given time buying guns/ammo, some from pretty far away. cracks me up.

i'm not a gun collector, but the difference in quality in the "old" stuff and the new from "overseas", I bet is HUGE!??

Barbee, I've heard about that store in Miller. Guess I'm going to have to make a trip down there. I don't mess with guns as much anymore. My Dad was a gun trader, and I spent a lot of time with him before he passed. Quality I believe is relevant. With modern technology, some things have improved, but there also is a lot of junk floating around out there. Pretty much, getting what you paid for is mostly still the same.

Barbee, I've heard about that store in Miller. Guess I'm going to have to make a trip down there. I don't mess with guns as much anymore. My Dad was a gun trader, and I spent a lot of time with him before he passed. Quality I believe is relevant. With modern technology, some things have improved, but there also is a lot of junk floating around out there. Pretty much, getting what you paid for is mostly still the same.

if you make it over to Miller, let me know, i'm just 8 mi north of there. we can talk some Mopar stuff!

try numrich gun parts aka e-gunparts.com I have other sources if you need them.

-
Back