windage tray ? worth the money in stockish engines ?

windage tray ? is it worth the money in a stock like engine ?

• forget this piece of crap - racer only stuff

Votes: 12 13.3%
  • go for it - every single horse power counts

Votes: 78 86.7%

• Total voters
-

lilredridinghoo

Reaction score
just wanna know your thinking about the use of a windage tray in a nearly stock like engine

does it make sense or is it just wasting the money ....

Absolutely worth it. I would not run without one. OEM on all the muscle car High Performance engines.

What is meant by 'stockish' engines? One that gets revved up to 6k once in a while, or one that never sees over 3000 RPM in a chicken feed truck? If the latter, yes, the tray is a waste of $$, IMHO.

What is meant by 'stockish' engines? One that gets revved up to 6k once in a while, or one that never sees over 3000 RPM in a chicken feed truck? If the latter, yes, the tray is a waste of $$, IMHO.

it´s about a motor with no expensive raceparts and no x-tra deep oil pan. mostly street use, but also kicked in the butt on the track and reved up to 6000

i´ve allways used windage trays in my former small block projects, but i got a discussion about that thing with other guys here in Germany.. and we ended 50:50 pro/con

Then in that case, it is a good addition. But not an absolutely essential one; the engine won't blow up without it.

This has been talked about much. It is free HP. Chrysler did it for a reason. I do it on every engine I run. You will have a couple people with different beliefs.

It helps if you massage them a bit, opening up the louvers a bit adding drain holes in certain spots.

Lil'Red, the smart guys, ones that actually have intelligence, with degrees from school in engineering, yea, those smart guys figured out a little piece of bent metal is worth 15 hp on a stock 340. People maybe 50/50 on its worth at low to mid RPM. But since you do see some high RPM the tray becomes worth the extra time to install it. This stock part will give way to a better wind age tray in a serious engine.
Open up the Louvers to allow oil to escape quickly.

When I need a dentist, I don't go to the guy cutting my lawn to extract the tooth.

I only run them if I'm using a stock or stock capacity pan. My last three engines have Milodon deep pans and I don't run a tray with them, although on my current one I did fabricate a scraper that is welded to the side of the pan.

I prefer crank scrapers but yes a windage tray is worth it.

I voted yes- they work - you'll gain some HP - adding headers? an intake and a four barrel? then why the heck not do the tray.. it certainly can't hurt.

I only run them if I'm using a stock or stock capacity pan. My last three engines have Milodon deep pans and I don't run a tray with them, although on my current one I did fabricate a scraper that is welded to the side of the pan.

You do not need them with a race pan. There is an oil depth below the crank where there is no difference.

yep, worth it. However, just a heads up, you won't feel it by the seat-of-your-pants. I've never seen (or felt) 15 hp on mild small blocks. I know, I've read the articles, but I think 5-7 hp is probably more like it on a mild SB. You'll need an E.T. slip to see the tenth....

In my opinion, if the bean counters could have saved the money by not putting these trays in, they would have.
Engineering must have gave a good reason to use the tray, to override the bean counters.

I could see the advantage using a stock OEM type pan, not so much with a deep sump pan.

X3 on opening the vents on the OEM trays and consider adding some, or getting an aftermarket one with more louvers. Gotta drain it ASAP. But for a race engine, I prefer a scraper as well.

I realize the discussion is about a tray in a stockish V8, That said because it can't hurt, I will be adding a tray to my modified slant engine (decked block & modified head, long tube headers/4 barrel, etc.) going in my 65 wagon.

the idea behind a windage tray, is to prevent the oil from being whipped around . oil with air in it is not good. also, oil being suspended hits the crank. causes drag. deep pan doesn't require a tray. a crank scrapper is worthwhile.

I realize the discussion is about a tray in a stockish V8, That said because it can't hurt, I will be adding a tray to my modified slant engine (decked block & modified head, long tube headers/4 barrel, etc.) going in my 65 wagon.

I had one on my 170, also highly modified. Sweeeeeet motor!

I use one in my 360 mopar. I have a mild set up 280/474 cam holley strip dominator with 440 big block 850 "tweaked"thermoquad, etc.. My dad on the other hand has a 1976 ramcharger 318 bone stock no windage tray and revs like a 340!! Go figure!#-o Ohh by the way the 318 has 280,000+ miles no new rings bearings or anything except timing chain and a reseal!!O:) So the tray really does not play a huge part in output maybe just slight oil control?

Every STOCK 340 and STOCK E58 360 used one.

Every STOCK 340 and STOCK E58 360 used one.

Along with all the performance OEM 383 / 440s. The original concept of the 383 RR was "low buck" no chrome, stripped, and yet the 335 hp 383s had windage trays

-
Back