window frame advice needed.

-

younggun2.0

Reaction score
Getting ready to install front and back glass on my 67 dart. Converting front glass to 68 and up gasket and trim. My car was a vinyl top car and has small staple holes in the window frames. The car was painted and they didn't weld them up. They are small holes. Maybe 1/16" at most. What would you guys recommend I use to seal them up prior to window install?

If you don't wanna weld them up. RTV clear will work just a well.

If you don't wanna weld them up. RTV clear will work just a well.

Welding is not an option. The car is painted. Window frames and all. Car was stripped to a shell and painted. Was looking at 3m glazing and bedding compound. Looks like a good perminent solution.

Welding is not an option. The car is painted. Window frames and all. Car was stripped to a shell and painted. Was looking at 3m glazing and bedding compound. Looks like a good perminent solution.
Youd be suprised how long RTV can last/go. I drilled a hole and mounted a bracket to the front of a semi truck (warning lights). Used rtv to seal it up to prevent leaks, 1 million miles later still not a single leak from it. This was exposed to direct sun, wind, rain, snow, extreme cold (it routinely went to canada and the mid west in winter) and extreme heat. I checked everytime it came in/back and never a leak. Just saying.
All that said, I like RTV because I can easily replace it if something goes wrong.

Youd be suprised how long RTV can last/go. I drilled a hole and mounted a bracket to the front of a semi truck (warning lights). Used rtv to seal it up to prevent leaks, 1 million miles later still not a single leak from it. This was exposed to direct sun, wind, rain, snow, extreme cold (it routinely went to canada and the mid west in winter) and extreme heat. I checked everytime it came in/back and never a leak. Just saying.
All that said, I like RTV because I can easily replace it if something goes wrong.

Just the rvt gasket sealer?

Just the rvt gasket sealer?
Yeah. 4 1/4 20 stainless steel bolts , 8 SS washers, 4 SS lock nuts all to mount the bracket. Rtv on the Bolt (hole itself) bolted it down and put some around the bolt head and washer, called it good. Never had a problem.

I'm actually working on a mounting stuff to the back of the truck now (because of what it is). If you want I can take a picture of the bracket and how its mounted.

I have/had the same situation with mine. I used the 3m urethane (I think it was the Windo-Weld in the tube) and ran a thin coat over these small holes prior to installing my 68 gasket.

Make sure you've got your trim clips in now (and that they're the correct ones), and at the correct height!

Saw your pops at the track a few weeks ago! Where were you...?

I have/had the same situation with mine. I used the 3m urethane (I think it was the Windo-Weld in the tube) and ran a thin coat over these small holes prior to installing my 68 gasket.

Make sure you've got your trim clips in now (and that they're the correct ones), and at the correct height!

Saw your pops at the track a few weeks ago! Where were you...?

he didnt even tell me he was going or i would have tagged along. got any pics or measurements of the window trim clip install? I just got my new front/rear gaskets and repop trim clips. I am nervous about drilling holes into the window frame as it is let along ******* it up. lol.

hell if you wanna come down and help me with my junk we can throw some steaks on the grill and I will have as much ICE COLD beer as you can drink.

Here is mine. The one screwed into the car is at the incorrect height (long story...). The one being held by the pliers is at the correct height. You'll notice the distance below the lip of the pillar, which is what did the trick on mine.

Where did you get your clips? The ones that were used on my car seemed to be mismatched when I got it back. This ended up being a little tricky for me.

How soon are you looking to get this done? I don't mind buzzing down to give a hand, but it might not be for a week or so. I hope to wrench on mine to get it back on the road again. We can also coordinate with my bro to come too. He's my 2nd opinion/2nd set of eyes.

Attachments

• Photo 13 Trim Clip -small.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 179
Here is mine. The one screwed into the car is at the incorrect height (long story...). The one being held by the pliers is at the correct height. You'll notice the distance below the lip of the pillar, which is what did the trick on mine.

Where did you get your clips? The ones that were used on my car seemed to be mismatched when I got it back. This ended up being a little tricky for me.

How soon are you looking to get this done? I don't mind buzzing down to give a hand, but it might not be for a week or so. I hope to wrench on mine to get it back on the road again. We can also coordinate with my bro to come too. He's my 2nd opinion/2nd set of eyes.

got my clips on ebag. got the fronts with the gasket as a kit. the rears are identical to the ones that came off the car.

im about 2 weeks out. I just got the headliner in the mail and will hopefully be getting that installed in the next week or so.

Cool. I would double check to make sure the clips fit in a couple spots. Check (just hold them in place) that they will fit along the A pillar and the bottom channel of the rear window. The A pillar is "short", and the bottom of the back window location isn't as tall as the channel running up the C pillar and around the top of the window, therefore you wanna make sure they will sit flush to the car, while at the same time allowing the top of the clips to be recessed down in the channel. You don't want top of the clips sitting flush to, or above the opening, otherwise the trim will not sit tight to the gasket. This was the case on mine.
I hope that made some sense....

Let's check in a week or so about installing.

Beware hardware store screws. The screw that is used there is not standard.
If you are making new screw holes you can make smaller than factory holes and use a #6 screw.
If you are reusing the original screw holes a#8 screw is required. The head on the standard $8 screw is too big and will not let the trim in the clip. Some have bent their trim trying to get it in the clips where the screw head interfered.

i already puchased the clips and screws. do you guys use any sealer on the back side of the clip and the tip of the screw?

As RedFish says, you need the appropriate screw heads. Check what you have to see if it matches the photo I attached.

Once I got all my clips installed I put a little of the urethane into/around the bottom of the clip area to try and seal things up at the screw.

ya i have the screws that came with the clips. they have a low profile head on them. they look just like the ones in your pic.

is that the dart in pic that you had all the trouble with the body shop? how is the car coming? you should post some pics.

i already puchased the clips and screws. do you guys use any sealer on the back side of the clip and the tip of the screw?

Well, I'll just throw this out there. I know for a fact 68-69 cudas used a mixture of two slightly different clips when new. I'd have to assume it's the same on Darts. It may be possible to get by with a single size clip, I don't know.

The original screws used a dab of sealer on the threads. I found a couple virgin screws and clips under the carpet when I took my 69 apart. The original clips were kind of an olive drab color. It sure would not hurt to put a little RTV on the threads and maybe under the clips when installing them. Even when washing your car, the water will sit in the channel until it evaporates so it's good to weatherproof that area as best you can.

R/T Specialties used to be THE source for these clips and screws. They've probably sold thousands of kits by now. They give you the correct clips and screws in the right quantities but that's your call.

Jeff at jefframin.org had a diagram for the spacing on his site but it was for a cuda fastback. It would give you the general idea.

I got #8 flange head screws from HD, worked just fine. The 4 other clips that come in the set are so small a difference it is of no significance.
When you drill a hole in paint use paint or a good sealer in the hole drilled.

I just did my coupe but have 3 more cars to do and it was a huge savings to go this route over that. Look in the 68-9 parts manual - the clip I listed 6002263 is the same part number as the factory ones.

these are the actual screws.
http://www.bonanza.com/listings/-8-x-3-8-flanged-head-phillips-screws-w-sealer-100-pcs/93885739

-
Back