Windows XP upgrade???

-

JR

Pissed off senior member.
Reaction score
I am running 2000 on my computer and wanted to upgrade to xp so my girlfriend went out and got the upgrade version of xp home edition for me. That was great untill after I opened the box and noticed that it was the upgrade for windows 98. I took it back to the store to exchange it (and pay the extra $100) and was told that since the seal on the box was broken they wouldnt take it. So instead of mailing it back to microsoft and waiting for the refund I was wonderring if there was a way that I can make the upgrade for 98 to xp work for 2000 via a download or ect?

360scamp said:
I am running 2000 on my computer and wanted to upgrade to xp so my girlfriend went out and got the upgrade version of xp home edition for me. That was great untill after I opened the box and noticed that it was the upgrade for windows 98. I took it back to the store to exchange it (and pay the extra $100) and was told that since the seal on the box was broken they wouldnt take it. So instead of mailing it back to microsoft and waiting for the refund I was wonderring if there was a way that I can make the upgrade for 98 to xp work for 2000 via a download or ect?
I'm not 100% sure, and I'm not there to read the box. If the seal is broken, what the hell; its worth a try? My XP home was upgraded from 98,ME and 2000. The XP upgrade "should" reconize your other :dark1: software. Note: if you have two drives, back-up all your good stuff onto the spare drive just in case it re-writes more then just the operating system...unless you don't care.

69signetv8 said:
I'm not 100% sure, and I'm not there to read the box. If the seal is broken, what the hell; its worth a try? My XP home was upgraded from 98,ME and 2000. The XP upgrade "should" reconize your other :dark1: software. Note: if you have two drives, back-up all your good stuff onto the spare drive just in case it re-writes more then just the operating system...unless you don't care.

Also, take a look at the disc..It should say the Version and below that something like:1985-2001 Microsoft????yes/no

not an expert, but I believe that since microsoft dropped 2000 so quickly and moved to xp, you probably won't find a 2000 specific upgrade. the box most likely only says 95/98/ME, because 2000 was there and gone so quick and they even dropped support for the OS. I think your upgrade will work fine, and as stated, give it a try, since it's already open. I would just do a basic upgrade first, and not reformat. this is because it will reformat, and then ask for your existing disk. and IF it won't accept your 2000 disk, then you'd be WAAAY up a creek. if it does accept the disk and finishes the upgrade, you can revert back, then re-install with a reformat and have a squeaky-clean fresh XP.

However.....any and all programs will need the install disk to put back on the computer. i found this out the hard way. i had just gotten into them when i did the xp upgrade, and wiped the hard drive. then i had none of the programs my puter came with, like office and stuff. also, when it did ask for the existing disk, the only disk Compaq includes is a "restore" disk, and it won't work as proof of existing OS. and Compaq wouldn't help me with that problem.
but....lesson learned.

never going to use Compaq again.

Also....microsoft is very helpful with these sorts of problems. when it came time to reformat again, i didn't want to buy windows 98 again to try to return it (i did that the first time and luckily was able to return it and get my $300 back), so i send microsoft a (free) tech help request, and they sent me a NEW INSTALL disk. no questions asked.

you could do the same and see what they recommend. they might tell you that 2000 is not serviceable, and send you a fresh install disk for xp.

I just tryed it on my desktop that also has the same version of 2000 on it and it says...

Set up cannot upgrade your current installation to Windows XP.
Your current installation of Windows is not a supported upgrade path.
Setup cannot continue.

My 2000 is a leagal registered copy.

On the box it says...

UPGRADE
For users of Microsoft Windows 98
Windows 98SE
Windows Millennium Edition.

and on the box of the upgrade that cost 100 bucks more it said that it was for the users of windows 2000.

I was told that there is a place online that I can download the files that contain the upgrade path that I need. Anyone ever hear of this, can I make it work or should I just wait for the refund and then spend 200 bucks for the upgrade that will work?

green67cuda said:
not an expert, but I believe that since microsoft dropped 2000 so quickly and moved to xp, you probably won't find a 2000 specific upgrade. the box most likely only says 95/98/ME, because 2000 was there and gone so quick and they even dropped support for the OS. I think your upgrade will work fine, and as stated, give it a try, since it's already open. I would just do a basic upgrade first, and not reformat. this is because it will reformat, and then ask for your existing disk. and IF it won't accept your 2000 disk, then you'd be WAAAY up a creek. if it does accept the disk and finishes the upgrade, you can revert back, then re-install with a reformat and have a squeaky-clean fresh XP.

However.....any and all programs will need the install disk to put back on the computer. i found this out the hard way. i had just gotten into them when i did the xp upgrade, and wiped the hard drive. then i had none of the programs my puter came with, like office and stuff. also, when it did ask for the existing disk, the only disk Compaq includes is a "restore" disk, and it won't work as proof of existing OS. and Compaq wouldn't help me with that problem.
but....lesson learned.

never going to use Compaq again.

Also....microsoft is very helpful with these sorts of problems. when it came time to reformat again, i didn't want to buy windows 98 again to try to return it (i did that the first time and luckily was able to return it and get my $300 back), so i send microsoft a (free) tech help request, and they sent me a NEW INSTALL disk. no questions asked.

you could do the same and see what they recommend. they might tell you that 2000 is not serviceable, and send you a fresh install disk for xp.

Will kinda what I said, but you are right..safety first :nike: If all fails, and everything is lost, god for bid. He could just get a copy/use and do a quick install of it, then install XP. (save the bucks) but alittle more work and all the extra software stuff like you.....and I went through. :spam2:

360scamp said:
I just tryed it on my desktop that also has the same version of 2000 on it and it says...

Set up cannot upgrade your current installation to Windows XP.
Your current installation of Windows is not a supported upgrade path.
Setup cannot continue.

My 2000 is a leagal registered copy.

On the box it says...

UPGRADE
For users of Microsoft Windows 98
Windows 98SE
Windows Millennium Edition.

and on the box of the upgrade that cost 100 bucks more it said that it was for the users of windows 2000.

I was told that there is a place online that I can download the files that contain the upgrade path that I need. Anyone ever hear of this, can I make it work or should I just wait for the refund and then spend 200 bucks for the upgrade that will work?
I'm not sure of the download. You could go on line under 98SE/ME download cracks or somthing like that first. If no joy that way "it's kinda up to you if you can get your hands on the older 98/ME. I've got all 3 discs, but that's a waste talk to ya as well. I will look on line and get back.

Well 360Scamp, I could'nt find anything on line about a "crack" download for 98. I did read about 2000 and have a little bad news. It stated that there could be some problems upgrading to XP from 2000 even if you had the "right" upgrade. Now I'm really not to sure what the problems would be, but to save money...."I would" keep the upgrade disc you have now becouse I think the Full Version is away more $$$. Get a copy :roll: or use a friends 98/ME with a key of course. Like I said earler...If you what to keep whats on your drive now, download it to another hard drive. Reformat your system and install 98/ME then install your XP upgrade. The only BS of this is you must install all your other software. I've had to do this many times however, you will have a clean drive. Sorry dude, wish I could do more. Perhaps someone else has other ideas. [-o<

if he can borrow a 98 disk from a friend, he doesn't need to install 98....all he needs is the disk for xp's verification. that's the difference between the upgrade and full-install. the full doesn't require existing OS verification.

he would only use the 98 disk when prompted for verification purposes.

green67cuda said:
not an expert, but I believe that since microsoft dropped 2000 so quickly and moved to xp, you probably won't find a 2000 specific upgrade. the box most likely only says 95/98/ME, because 2000 was there and gone so quick and they even dropped support for the OS.

Windows 2000 is still fully supported by Microsoft with patches, security fixes, etc. Microsoft has always had two OS's, one for the home user and a professional OS. 95/98/ME/XP Home Edition is the home user path. NT3, NT4, 2000, XP Professional is the professional path. XP home and XP Professional share a lot of the core but the two systems are still quite different.

You won't be able to upgrade 2000 with an XP Home Edition CD. If you want Home Edition you will need a full version and do a clean install which will also require you to re-install most of your software. You can upgrade 2000 with an XP Professional upgrade.

Personally I see no reason to upgrade from 2000, other than the new look gui it doesn't buy you anything.

FWIW, it's been only in the past month or so here at work that the corporate core load has transitioned to XP Professional.

69signetv8 said:

just putting it onto a second hard drive doesn't work with this upgrade because it also changes the file stucture on the hard drive you'll need to put all important info onto a drive not conected to the computer (ie.. cd, dvd, or zip or somekind of removable drive) i learnt this the hard way and lost a bunch of info

I think that Im just going to keep 2000 on my laptop and borrow my buddies old copy of 98 with a key and update my desktop to xp just because I have it and I might as well use it.
Everyone on this board and 2 other copmuter boards have pretty much all said the same thing "why bother, whats wrong with 2000?" and to be honest...nothing, Im current on all my updates for 2000, it's working fine and all my games and programs seem to like it so I might as well keep it.
If it aint broke don't fix it... unless it's a car and we all know how that one goes.
Thanks for all the replys and info guys!!!

-
Back