Windsheild Wiper Bar?

-

jerkyboy

Reaction score
I was inspecting under my dash last night and noticed a bar that appears to be bolted to something way up on the driver's side and extends to the windshield wiper motor, but it's not hooked up to anything. It appears that it should hook up to the back of the windshild wiper motor. I noticed that wipers do not park themselves back in the down down position and I'm starting to think that this mysterious bar is probably the culprit.

Is there 2 bars?

One connects the left and right pivots together. Longer bar.
The other one runs from the left pivot to the motor. shorter bar.

Is there 2 bars?

One connects the left and right pivots together. Longer bar.
The other one runs from the left pivot to the motor. shorter bar.

The bar is above your left knee if you are the driver. It extends from the left side (under the dash) to the wiper motor.

Here are some pics.

IMG_1923.jpg

IMG_1926.jpg

You gotta be kidding me!!!! No one knows what the deal is with this bar.....windshield wiper park bar????

Its the windshield wiper linkage that goes to the driver side wiper. The plastic bushing is gone. Get a new bushing and clip(dont know from where) ,hook the bar up to the arm on the wiper motor and your wipers will work provided there's nothing wrong with the motor.

Wipers work but they don't park, that's why I guessing that's what it is. I am going to get a bushing and clip, hook it up, and see what happens. Thanks for the input.

Can't imagine how they are working,as they aren't even connected to the wiper motor !!! Let me know if you happen to find the bushings for it though,I haven't been having any luck yet !!!

First let me saythat I had the same problem with the wipers not parking in the same position,I replaced the wiper motor ! Just make sure which motor you have,I purchased a 2 speed,only to figure out that I needed a 3sp/variable one !2 speed is perpendicular to the firewall,3speed is parrallel. About the bushings,I'll save you the leg work,here's where I just got mine !!!

http://www.rtspecialties.net/

LOL The wipers were working. Just as you went messin around under there you bumped the transmission arm off the pitman arm. Oddly enough that will stay together and wear metal to metal for a very long time if not disturbed. The lost motion from the missing bushing causes the incorrect park position.
Lets hope it hasn't worn the hole in the transmission arm to the point that a new bushing wont stay in place. Good luck

Thanks fellas, been super busy and haven't had a chance to piece it back together. I did find the plastic bushing and clip (on the floor) so I'll report back and let you know how it works out.

Are these the pieces I need to reconnect my wiper arm bar? Also, how about a few pics showing what it looks like when it's hooked up or how to hook it back up correctly.

IMG_1964.jpg

IMG_1966.jpg

The plastic piece goes on the transmission ( bar ). Then that goes on the pitman arm, topped with the wear washer and the clip. It really cant be put together wrong.
You should invest in a service manual.

The plastic piece goes on the transmission ( bar ). Then that goes on the pitman arm, topped with the wear washer and the clip. It really cant be put together wrong.

I would love a service manual.....any suggestions on the best place to purchase?

The transmission bar (?) is the bar in my initial pic?

I would love a service manual.....any suggestions on the best place to purchase?

The transmission bar (?) is the bar in my initial pic?

Yes the part you refer to as bar is called wiper linkage or transmission linkage. The little arm on the motor is called pitman arm.

Ebay is the best source for factory service manuals. I prefer real paper and ink manuals but manuals on cd are available and a lot less expensive. I keep a Hayes or Chilton manual in the trunk of the car for roadside reference. Those aren't as detailed or as bulky, just handy.

Yes the part you refer to as bar is called wiper linkage or transmission linkage. The little arm on the motor is called pitman arm.

Ebay is the best source for factory service manuals. I prefer real paper and ink manuals but manuals on cd are available and a lot less expensive. I keep a Hayes or Chilton manual in the trunk of the car for roadside reference. Those aren't as detailed or as bulky, just handy.

I too prefer a paper manual. Dumb question, but I'm guessing the service manual has exploded views of how things go together, right??

Got a pic to aid in reassembly????

So I finally got my shop manual...thought it would have a better view of wiper bar assembley, or whatever it's called.

LOL The wipers were working. Just as you went messin around under there you bumped the transmission arm off the pitman arm. Oddly enough that will stay together and wear metal to metal for a very long time if not disturbed. The lost motion from the missing bushing causes the incorrect park position.
Lets hope it hasn't worn the hole in the transmission arm to the point that a new bushing wont stay in place. Good luck

Got it all back together, and it was a piece of cake. Thanks for your help:-D.

So I finally got my shop manual...thought it would have a better view of wiper bar assembley, or whatever it's called.

I understand what you are saying about the manual. When I took my dash apart the wiper bar was laying inside the dash and manual doesn't really show how it goes back together so I guessed!

We'll see how it works when I get the car wired!

Also, Napa sells the bushings and I would replace them all if you can reach them.

I understand what you are saying about the manual. When I took my dash apart the wiper bar was laying inside the dash and manual doesn't really show how it goes back together so I guessed!

We'll see how it works when I get the car wired!

Also, Napa sells the bushings and I would replace them all if you can reach them.

Thanks for the info.

-
Back