Windshield install???

-

HemiPar

Reaction score
Hey all. one of my winter projects was to pull the front and rear windows ou, clean the track get new seals and install headliner. Well all that is now complete and it's time to put the glass back in. So the question is; Should I use a sealer or just install with the rubber seal? If I use some sort of sealer, what would you recommend? Thanks. I can't wait to pull the Swinger out of the garage to clean the floor.......

Jeff,
I am currently running a thread on windshield install - I need some help.
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=93083&referrerid=11334
Several members have been helping me with this, and you should be able to get plenty of information from that thread, and the threads that are daisy-chained along with it. One thing I can tell you is USE BUTYL SEALANT! As for the no sealant option, I believe that the Previous Owner installed the windshield with no sealant and I get a lake on the passerger side floorboards in every rain.
Good Luck.
BlindSquirrel

Thanks BlindSquirrel. Since my glass is out I think I will put butyl sealant between fence and gasket. The put some between glass and gasket. I do not want to pull the glass out again. Better to be safe and do it once.

By all means, use sealant. 3M makes a black glass sealant in a caulk tube that I've used with much success over the years. I use it to seal the gasket to the body, and then I use it in the glass channel to seal the windshield to the gasket. I'm assuming of course that yours is a gasket install situation. If it's the later style with no gasket, you'll need the roll of buytl tape to run in the window channel before you set the window, which doesn't require the use of the 3M sealant. You can never be too careful when installing any glass. Seal the heck out of it and be CAREFUL!!! Good luck with the install, Geof

Thanks BlindSquirrel. Since my glass is out I think I will put butyl sealant between fence and gasket. The put some between glass and gasket. I do not want to pull the glass out again. Better to be safe and do it once.

This is the procedure I would recommend and do on my own car (or a customer's, for that matter.) Just be sure to use butyl, NOT urethane!
Dallas

Thanks all. Now I need to go to parts store and hope I can get the glass in this weekend. If I can find the freaking canera I will take pics.

I use the butyl sealant at gasket to fence. I use bedding and glazing compound between gasket and glass. Mask your headlinner with tape or something. You dont want that black buttl to get on a pretty new headlinner, especially if its any color other than black .
Good luck

Well, I went to 3 different part stores yesterday and none had Butyl Sealant. Is there another brand that would work as well? Or should I just order some and wait till it gets here? Damn I wanted my glass in this weekend. I need to clean out the garage!!!!!!!!!!

Butyl isn't a brand name and may not be spelled right either. It is however used in all types of glass install including storefront glass mounted in anodised aluminum.
Therfore Lowes or Home depot would have it. Hope this helps.

Thanks Red. Maybe thats why I keep getting strange looks yesterday.
So will just about anything for sealing glass work?
Thanks for the tip about the headliner. I have seen the future and I would have messed that up.

So will just about anything for sealing glass work?

Not 'just anything'. You need to find butyl. I can't believe none of the glass shops have it although I know most of them will use urethane instead, although it's not recommended. Butyl stays flexible so it will hold it's seal even though the rubber gasket will give and move around some. Urethane hardens. If you don't get a good seal the first try you will tear the rubber gasket up trying to reseal it.
Good luck,
Dallas

-
Back