Windshield leaking

-

Drunkenweasel

Reaction score
I recently had my windshield replaced on my 73 duster and now it leaks. Is this just something that will fix itself or is it always going to leak? The window company doesn't warranty rubber molding

I recently had my windshield replaced on my 73 duster and now it leaks. Is this just something that will fix itself or is it always going to leak? The window company doesn't warranty rubber molding
It's not going to fix itself. :( Can you pinpoint the leak? Might be something other than the windshield - cowl, wiper pivots. Often difficult to determine...
Did they use sealant between the rubber and metal? I know some get away with no sealant between rubber and glass, but need butyl to the metal.

I'm not surprised the don't warranty it.
It's something they probably don't have experience doing.
And it can be tricky not to mention reproduction rubber my be inexact.
Normally something like 3M 8509 non-setting is used in addition to the rubber.
Did they do this?
And like the previous poster, it MAY not be the windshield.
But if it wasn't leaking before......
I've used Locktite PL S30 but you won't get the rubber back out.

One little trick I have used on a few cars was to lift the rubber where it contacts the glass on the outside and put a 1/8 bead of butyl rubber all the way around between the rubber and glass.
Of course this only works if the leak is between the rubber and glass, but not if the leak is between the rubber and body.

Are you sure?

The windshield wiper transmission seals are very prone to leaks, so worth a look if you have not done so yet?

Easy fix, seal kits are available.

I feel your pain. Went thru the same thing a couple years ago when I replaced the windshield in my 67 Dart. Dunno if we had a bad batch of butyl, but it didn't seem to stay in place..would kind of ooze out and didn't seal well. Finally after the unpteenth time of removing it we used silicone between the rubber and body and took care of it
My car's a 2 door post which means I had to use a 68-up gasket...that may have been part of the problem, it seemed to fit rather loosely.
YMMV

-
Back