windshield removal?

-

440valiant

cuda
Reaction score
quick question

im removing my windshield and i usually just cut the weatherstripping, is there any other way to remove the windshield than cutting the stripping? ( I want to save the stripping)

thanks

If you can fish a wire through the outside edge and wrap it around a stick on both sides you can use a sawing motion to break the seal. You can usually save the gasket this way.

I've seen a bowling ball thrown up in the air work REAL well.... wait a min. that just works on chevys. lmao

I've done it by soaking the gaskets in WD-40. Remove the lockstrip on the outside of the gasket. Slowly and carefully, pry out the windshield through the front of the car. This is at least a two person job, with one working inside and the other outside. For the prying, I used a pair of flat tip screwdrivers. I've had two helpers so when the windshield comes out, it can be walked over the hood of the car to safety. Stuff will get messy, but it cleans up okay without needing anything special.

The silicone products like armorall work better than WD-40 in this case. They dont evaporate so quickly. Use a ravorblade type paint scrapper to cut the adhesive from the glass and spray the silicone in as you proceed. After the glass seems loose from the gasket it will come out , top first, toward the outside.
If you're willing to put this time and effort into saving the gasket , then aditional time spent to clean it , it can be reused and will fit better than most repops.

-
Back