windshield replacement question

-

justin hughes

Miss my car
Reaction score
my windshield needs replacing because of a long crack (wont pass inspection.) my question is : since my gasket doesnt look dryrotted or anything, what are the chances of me saving the $100. that a new gasket would cost and reusing the old one. i have a used (free) windshield that has some delamination (white fog) along the edges. i couldnt get a new windshield through any glass companies locally, so i gotta use it. i never replaced a windshield before so im not even sure how to get the old one out without hurting the gasket if i can reuse it. there is chrome that covers about half the gasket width. any tips would be helpful. its not that im trying to be cheap, im just poor right now.

What year? If the glass is not good break it out, then check out the rubber.

+1. I would spare the gasket and bust out the windshield. You can reuse the old gasket, but know that it may seem pliable, but it has hardened over the years and will be morew difficult to reuse. With that said, I would first seal the gasket to the body with 3M windshield adhesive, then put some in the window channel. It's gonna get everywhere, so mask off the paint before you try to install the window. The sealer will act as a sealer, but will also give you a little slip-slip to use a nylon knife or something to that effect to draw the windshield into the gasket. Don't use anything metal, unless you want to be taking the windshield back out!!! Good luck with the install, Geof

The trim just unhooks from the retaining clips but you will need the right tool, should be less then 20 bucks at the part store. After you get the trim off you will notice a seam running around the center of the gasket where the outer flap is tucked into the gasket, this part just prys out and the gasket is unlocked. Now the glass might be able to be pushed out but you will probably have to peel the gasket away from the outer perimeter of the glass. Sit in the car with your feet along the top of the glass and give a steady push, it should come out. Try not to break it unless you want little shards of glass everywhere. Hopefully your gasket is soft enough to reuse, clean all the old sealant off also take care of any rust around the windshield frame, now is a good time to replace any of the trim clips if they are rusty or broken. The gasket gets "glued" to the car with butyl sealant. Place the bottom of the windshield in first (no butyl on the glass yet) and work it into the gasket. Then work your way up the sides, the corners are the hardest so be carefull also use plenty of glass cleaner or soapy water as lube between the glass and rubber. DO NOT use any metal tools when working the glass into the gasket get a nylon glass tool or grind an old toothbrush down to pry the gasket over the glass. Once the glass is into the gasket run some butyl sealer around the perimeter of the glass under the flap. Hope this helps, good luck.

there is a rubber rejuvinator prduct to soften the rubber,I had some once, it worked, check with the windshield guy.

-
Back