windshield replacement thoughts

-

killnine

Reaction score
70 Duster. I have a bad leak up front on the drivers side I am almost sure is from the windshield seal. I've replaced the wiper seals to no avail. I have some work to do to the car over a short period of time and I would like to remove the glass, replace the dash pad, and have the glass replaced as quickly as possible so I can get on to other things. Would it make sense at all to even consider having the glass replaced by one of the available 'come to your house and fix your windshield' companies? I don't have a lot of time to try this myself and screw it up. Or do they just not stock this sort of thing and it is going to cost me so much I will blow a sphincter?

I recommend a pro to do it. Some pros may not even take the job.
My guy had to make 4 trips out before we got it sealed.
C

I have a convertible and am going through the same thing with the leaks. I ordered a new rubber gasket from Steele. It was around $300 delivered with locking strip. My replacement front windshield showed up today from Sanders Reproduction Glass in Washington state. That was nearly $400 delivered.

Now, I need to remove the old windshield, repair any rust or corrosion damage, repaint the sill and find and pay someone who knows how to do this old style glass work to reinstall it. You know up front they won't take responsibility for it if they break it either.

I'm redoing my dash while I'm at it too. There's a reason I am getting around to all this last. It's an expensive pain in the a**!

As much as it is, it's still cheaper and easier than fixing rust in your floor pans or replacing multiple carpet and insulation sets later on. Mine has none, and I don't want it to get started either.

Attachments

• Dash1.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 359
May I ask who re-chromed your dash bezel and are you happy with the results?

This is the PG Classics repop I picked up over the holidays on one of their sales. It's currently on its way back for replacement due to some of the chrome not covering the right-side corner just above the gauge openings. They were very responsive and sent me a prepaid return label with no questions asked. I was also assured that they would pull and inspect the replacement to ensure that it was good before sending it back to me. I let you know how that turns out.

Other than that, it looked great, however the wood graining was less than remarkable. I plan on using the burl wood finish decal from Performance Car Graphics for $70.

Make sure they use the correct sealer for gasketed glass. I had a shop come out and do mine and he used the sealant for non gasketed glass. I had to remove the glass again to do something and that sealer had bonded to my new gaskets and glass. I had to replace both of my new gaskets because they tore when when trying to get the glass out. That was a $300 + mistake.

Yeah I called a couple places and none of them can get the glass. I think I might need to buy the glass from AMD and find the rubber myself, and then find an installer that will work with it. Or just do the whole thing myself. Seems like it won't save me a lot of time either way, assuming I don't screw it up big time.

I got my glass through "Speedy". I was waiting around while they "were" going to do the job as I wanted to see they didn't damage anything. The manager came in and asked me to leave while they did the job? I said no problem, give me the bill for the glass and I'll take it with me. I did it in my shop with help from a friend. Obviously they have no experience with older vehicles and they were nervous about me being there watching. Not a real confidence booster!

I would have a glass guy purchase the glass, come to your home and install it. You can supply the gasket if you want. Prep the opening by first removing glass and gasket. then clean the pinch welds surrounding the windshield. At this time determine if rust repairs are needed. I highly recommend installing new trim clips using BUTYL sealant that is available anywhere. The trim clips MUST go on before the windshield. Ask me how I know. A competent glass guy can do install in less than one hour.

Make sure its not the cowl leaking. Run some water just in the cowl and not on the windshield.

Roger that to checking the cowl. I'll double check that. I'll make some calls to local installers. It sounds like a good idea to set up an appointment, then have the thing prepped before they do the work. If I can find someone to install it.

Contact Pilkington glass and see if they can put you in touch with a supplier for their glass. They sell classic glass.

I would have a glass guy purchase the glass, come to your home and install it. You can supply the gasket if you want. Prep the opening by first removing glass and gasket. then clean the pinch welds surrounding the windshield. At this time determine if rust repairs are needed. I highly recommend installing new trim clips using BUTYL sealant that is available anywhere. The trim clips MUST go on before the windshield. Ask me how I know. A competent glass guy can do install in less than one hour.

do you rivet/ screw the clips on and use the butyl sealer in the holes or just the sealer and no rivet/ screw

I replaced my windshield with an original out of a Dart Sport. Was doing the same as yours. Was a reproduction piece with a new gasket but the windshield was only about 3/4 the thickness of the original piece. Bought a new gasket and did it myself. Use lots of glass cleaner, and patience is the best advice I can give.

-
Back