Windshield replacement

-

ptbill

Reaction score
Going to replace the gaskets on my 65 Barracuda windshield and rear glass. I was checking what to use for the sealer and a guy said he uses Castro Red Rubber Grease. Has anyone ever heard of doing that?

I NEVER use any sealer or lube of any kind. Although I have never done a 65, I assume it is like every other gasket style window I have ever done. There will be 2 major grooves or slots in the gasket; one for the windshield, and one that goes over the lip around the windshield opening in the car. Put the gasket around the glass so that the groove that goes over the lip around the windshield opening in the car faces back and then pull the lip of the gasket over the metal lip in the car with rope or twine using soapy water as a lubricant. There are tons of detailed How-To's on the internet. The gasket should fit snuggly enough to form a water tight seal.

The factory recommended putting a non drying black mastic sealer in both the window side channel and body side channels of the rubber. I had a windscreen shop replace mine dry once and it leaked, plus they scratched the paint and it lead to rust in the windscreen frame. I had even left them a copy of the factory instructions which they obviously knew better than. Well I pulled it out and followed the instructions and never had a leak again. Remember the windscreen frame is not that smooth, spot welds, sheet metal overlaps etc., this is why they say use the sealer.

3m makes a great sealer for window installs. It's black and stays tacky.
I've used it for the windshield gasket to steel channel before. I typically use dish detergent on the gasket to glass to help get it into the gasket with a 1/4" rope.
Takes 2 people and alot of sweat but works.

I use sealer as directed by the factory. Nothing like having to go back and fix a leaking window issue......no thanks scary enough the first time

thanks for all the info. got the gasket,the info now I need the time.

-
Back