Winter Car cover idea's ?

-

1994rm250

Reaction score
Hey Guys winter is rite around the corner =( .

Soo it sucks ,, if you do not live in FL or cali ,Winters in NewYork Just Suck.. even if you have a garage that you cant put your car in or just dont have one, i wanted too see what you guys have done to see how you guys protect'd your cars from the snow and the effects winter has on your car ,, anyone have any good covering ideas at all ?

i was gonna go get a huge tarp and drive my car on it and then wrap it like a Xmas giftt lolllll and then get like a cheap pepboys car tent? sound good ?

Don't sound good to me, You want some air circulation underneath the car, wrapping it will simply promote condensation...

I guess if I lived in such a hostile winter climate, I'd cover about 1200 miles and go to Florida or California :burnout:

The steel carport ( just under 700.00 ) is the best investment I've made. The car isn't totally protected but easy enough to get out , wash, drive around the block, then back under cover again. Protected year round rather than just winter.

Steel carport and put a tarp down on the ground. Dont wrap it with a tarp as other stated.

A 2 hundred dolor investment and it was well worth it Sams has them.
She stays dry and is vented real good and keeps tree sap and leave of, And gives me a place to hid :-D

let%20it%20rain%20014.jpg

let%20it%20rain%20019.jpg

let%20it%20rain%20022.jpg

let%20it%20rain%20150.jpg

yep me and MeMike are in the same boat with car shelters.For about 400 bucks you could be in the same boat.After getting my car, well painted I did all my reasembly in that shelter even in the winter.Its a great investment. Mine is now 4 years old no leaks nothing.I would buy anouther if I had to .Just cant afford to put up a real garage.

100_1755.jpg

buy a decent car cover and a decent tent and you will be fine. put plastic on the ground of the tent to keep the moisture from comeing up.

++++ On putting plastic down over the dirt. Otherwise any moisture in the ground evaporates and hits the cold metal and condenses back into water.

Check any car that has been sitting in a field for a couple of months...or years.

A 2 hundred dolor investment and it was well worth it Sams has them.
She stays dry and is vented real good and keeps tree sap and leave of, And gives me a place to hid :-D

These do work good, I think they are better ventilated without the sides, but they suck during any snow fall. I had one over my wife's 56 Cadillac and I had to go out every couple hours during the snow just to knock the snow off. I got tired of that pretty quick and since her car is an unfinished project, I went back to just using a tarp for this coming winter. They don't have the strength to hold up over 2" of snow and will collapse from the weight. A guy across the street from me had one over his 66 Charger and failed to keep the snow off, now he has a lot of body work to do.

It's funny, I had that same tent and after looking at it over a Valiant, I realize how small these old A-Bodys are compared to a 56 Cadillac. I could barely move around the Caddy

I was lucky to have a friend that still had the family farm and some barn space. The barn is pretty much like one of the tents others are using. I bought a car bag and it comes with stuff to absorb moisture but it is not made to store a car in outside. I also put down extra plastic on the ground.

yeh i have a full paved drive way .. yeh yeh i think thoso closed in car ports seem pretty good the thing is i do have a garage just my dad is kicking me out now lol i took up last winter to swap my slant 6 and make my 440 duster for hos matching numbers 383 r/t to sit outside loll =) soo now itss time to restore that carr thiss winter whoaa wat a project that is going to be !! money moneyy moneey

I bought a car bag for my Dart and used it for the first time last year. Pulled the car into the back garage and threw in about 20 desicant packs and zipped it up and it came out in the spring just as clean and dry as it went in.

It gets real damp here in Michigan and the early spring is always rainy and damp and the bag seals all of that out. I just wait until the weather really breaks in mid April and unzip it and start driving. No more spending an entire day cleaning off the oil coated chrome to keep the rust from starting.

I had to break down and buy a Sam's club canopy, and I am very pleased with it. 2 inch powder coated poles, a steel cable truss kit, and tie downs that screw into the ground - all for $350 shipped, (not in stock at the store at the time). I used treated 4*4s as a base and filled it with crushed stone.

Just using a tarp was not only a pain in the butt everytime I wanted to drive it, but pulling it on and off always rips them, and they scratch the car up.

DSC04341.JPG

and how much snow will these things hold
I'll find out this winter!
The reviews on Sam's club state it will hold snow, even though the company states it is not rated for snow.
My gut tells me it should do fine with snow, but to be smart about it I'll keep it cleared off when possible, and take action if we get ice.
I definitely would rather have a garage, or shed, or something else, but it keeps the rain off, which we have had a lot of, the sun, etc.
I'll probably start a pole barn next year.

And if you put a tarp over your car its like having a giant sheet of sandpaper over it.

As far as laying a plastic on the ground, I like to start mine and run it until it's nice and hot, so i have no condensation in the exhaust.
Plastic underneath is not the best, I use a small fan (110v) under the car, hooked to a timer, it goes on and runs for 2 hours everyday, I find that to be sufficient to circulate the air and dry off moisture.

Giles

I had about 3-4" of ice built up on top off mine, and it still held (subtantial weight).
The wind storm in the spring blew it away, and it was anchored at 8 places 30" deep spikes.
I was thinking wind would be the bigger issue, so I always keep it closed up and the sides tied down.
Was yours open?
Someone suggested that I run a few lines under the car, tied to both sides of the canopy, to keep it down in the off season winds.

I was thinking wind would be the bigger issue, so I always keep it closed up and the sides tied down.
Was yours open?
Someone suggested that I run a few lines under the car, tied to both sides of the canopy, to keep it down in the off season winds.

It was closed, but a sudden spring storm, 80mph winds, this thing was sitting on the open side of the field, it ended up being a huge parachute, lol.
My weeping willow stopped it (the shelter) from rolling over my neighbours shed and deck.

I had my winter beater parked in it, at the time, it has a few srapes from the post, as it was lifting off. i also had my snow blower in it, and it ended up somewhat (partially) resting on the hood of the car.

Do not wrap your car up in a plastic tarp, it will rot! I am fortunate enough to store my cars inside during the winter, even if I cover them with a cloth cover, I still cover them in thin plastic to keep the car cover clean but I cut ventilation holes in the plastic to let the moisture out, works good for me, would work well it you use a tent like memike too. I also would put plastic down on the ground under the car, it holds a lot of moisture back, especially on concrete, I also put card board on top of the plastic, sounds like overkill but moisture will ruin your pride and joy! My 70 340 Dart sits outside now cause I lost storage, there is no cover on it at all, even in the snow.

I use Tyvek house wrap under car covers for anything outside. It will let moisture out while keeping it relatively dry. Also works good on the ground and does not rot or break from the cold.

-
Back