Winter Project '64 Valiant Convertible

-

GaryS

Reaction score
My convertible doesn't get much use in winter, so I decided to make a few interior mods to go along with the new paint job and drivetrain rebuild.

I wanted a sound system that could play music from an ipod, so I had to give up my old Mopar AM-FM-CD radio in favor of a new Sony. I tried to make the installation look like something that might have come from the factory, if modern parts had been available in 1964.

While I was at it, I did some major rewiring by adding several new circuits and combining my two fuse boxes into one.

I also didn't like the looks of the Vintage Air control panel, since it looked like something made for a street rod, not a classic cruiser. I disassembled the Vintage Air panel and built it in so it also looks somewhat like a Mopar designed panel. The trim panel is made from bits and pieces of a '64 dash, a piece of plastic to mount everything to, and then it was covered with a simulated pattern printed on adhesive label material.

Then I improved the old custom gauge panel on the console by adding a power receptacle and storage bin for my cell phone. The existing gauges got an upgrade, too. I cut the gauge trim rings from an old instrument panel, routed the backs to fit over the gauges, then sent them to Mr. G's to have them chromed.

RadioandConsole.jpg

Looks like mine inside more pics /6 or273?

It's a 225 Slant Six, but it's a '79 engine that was installed while it was in the paint shop.

I don't have any pictures since I had it repainted, as I'm still working on the interior and the seats are out. If we can get more nice weather like today, I could have it finished in a few days.

FWIW, the other mods include: 8-3/4" rear end, disc brakes in front, 10" X 2-1/2" drums in back, and a later model dual master cylinder with a plastic tank. Brake upgrades also include all new lines and hoses.

The entire suspension has been rebuilt with heavier torsion bars and new rear springs. I also installed a Firm Feel steering box and replaced all the tie rods with heavier C-body parts.

I've only driven it 5 miles from the paint shop and I'm getting anxious for warm weather again so I can enjoy all the upgrades.

This is what it looked like before I did all the work. The only differences on the outside are 14" tires on Rallye wheels, and Signet 200 side trim.

DSC00091.jpg

Sweet Valiant. Great work on the console, looks as it´s factory made.
Are those front seats from a Seebring convert?

Thanks for the kind comments.

It took a lot of hours to figure out and build that simple little radio panel, but I'm generally pleased with the results. Any mods I make are always done with the goal of trying to make them look like something that might have come from the factory. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't.

Swedefish....yes, those seats are from a '97 Sebring.

-
Back