Wiper Arm Springs

-

GaryS

Reaction score
The springs in my wiper arms are getting weak and barely hold against the windshield when it's raining. Has anyone ever replaced the springs? If so, any recommendations? It looks as if a special tool might be needed.

The springs in my wiper arms are getting weak and barely hold against the windshield when it's raining. Has anyone ever replaced the springs? If so, any recommendations? It looks as if a special tool might be needed.

What year?

Not serviced as separate components, and never were. You might find generic springs you could use. They need to be very strong. You'll also find clip-on external "helper" springs that look schlock and don't work and fall off.

Better: Get two Anco #4103 universal replacement wiper arms. They're fully adjustable for correct length and blade angle, and are really well made. They also come with nicely-designed adaptors to fit on the pre-1965 screw-down wiper shafts. I had worried they'd be ugly, but really, they look just fine on my '64 and work well.

2 things
go to 65/66 style or get springs off a minivan wiper or other junk cars,they will work

Installing '65-up stock wiper arms requires installing '65-up wiper pivot assemblies (or using the adaptors previously mentioned, in which case just get the new Anco arms because the spring in an arm from '65 is just as worn out as the spring in an arm from '64).

Thanks for the responses.

Looks as if Anco arms at less than $9 each from Rock Auto are the way to go. My car isn't stock and I'm not that fond of the screw attachment anyway. One was so rusted, it took months of soaking and hours of cursing to get it off. I found springs that would work, but they are so stiff, I'd have to make a tool to install them.

One question...are the Anco arms brite stainless, or a subdued finish?

-
Back