Wiper Delay for 68 Barracuda

-

rednesss

Reaction score
Does anyone have any wisdom about putting an intermittent delay on the wipermotor? I have the variable speed switch and motor.

I thought I might have figured it out after watching this video:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ww5-pmiokc"]Windshield Wiper Motor Wiring Tutorial - YouTube[/ame]

but the spare motor I have isn't working like this. When the park is engaged, it actually reverses the motor direction. I'm pulling my hair out.

Yes a modern wiper motor with delay would be nice.The wipers on these old Mopars just suck.

have a delay setup out of early 80's ford truck, just have to figure out mounting in stock hole with dart knob.

I used the wire that originally went to electric wash pump to get a 1 push equals 1 sweep wiper. This does not work in later model systems where wiper motor reverses to park and/or switch rotates to low speed when pushed.

I used the wire that originally went to electric wash pump to get a 1 push equals 1 sweep wiper. This does not work in later model systems where wiper motor reverses to park and/or switch rotates to low speed when pushed.

But putting a momentary switch connected to the same circuit as the low speed of the wiper switch does. :)
You just have to hold the momentary switch down long enough to get past the park action, and when you let go the wipers will continue one sweep and then park again.
I'm eventually going to do this on my car with the switch coutersunk into the thumb end of my Hurst T handle.

They also make aftermarket adjustable intermittant wipe relay kits in various forms like this.

https://www.quasarelectronics.co.uk/Item/smart-kit-1093-intermittent-windscreen-wiper-controller

I also saw where you can get the intermittant module out of the wrecking yard and wire it in to our wiper systems using our original multi speed switch.
One real easy way is to use the low setting on the original switch for intermittant wipe, and the med and high as normal.
Then the speed of the intermittant wipe can be varied with an added rheostat. (but I don't like the added part of doing it that way)
I will just put together the one wipe button or turn the low speed into intermittant with a set time delay.
Instead of low, med, high, I'll have int, med, high and I think that should be fine, but either way I want the one push one wipe on the shifter handle.

I ordered one of these:

http://store.qkits.com/moreinfo.cfm/MXA041

I just have no idea how to wire it up and don't want to fry anything. I have a spare 2 speed wiper motor and tried to wire it up per the instructions but couldn't get it to work. I stayed up way too late trying to figure it out.

The spare motor I have reverses to park. I'm wondering if the one I have installed in the car is the same or is different? I wasn't aware that some reversed and some didn't. Guess I'll have to go see what it does.

How did you wire yours up? Which wire did you splice? The "A", "F1", "F2", ????????

I just went out and checked, when it's running it spins counter-clockwise, when the switch is turned off, it rotates clockwise to park. Does that mean my dreams of intermittent wipers are not going to happen?

But putting a momentary switch connected to the same circuit as the low speed of the wiper switch does. :)
You just have to hold the momentary switch down long enough to get past the park action, and when you let go the wipers will continue one sweep and then park again.
I'm eventually going to do this on my car with the switch coutersunk into the thumb end of my Hurst T handle.

They also make aftermarket adjustable intermittant wipe relay kits in various forms like this.

https://www.quasarelectronics.co.uk/Item/smart-kit-1093-intermittent-windscreen-wiper-controller

I also saw where you can get the intermittant module out of the wrecking yard and wire it in to our wiper systems using our original multi speed switch.
One real easy way is to use the low setting on the original switch for intermittant wipe, and the med and high as normal.
Then the speed of the intermittant wipe can be varied with an added rheostat. (but I don't like the added part of doing it that way)
I will just put together the one wipe button or turn the low speed into intermittant with a set time delay.
Instead of low, med, high, I'll have int, med, high and I think that should be fine, but either way I want the one push one wipe on the shifter handle.

How would you wire up the momentary switch? Just "T" into the "A" post?

I guess I'll just have to experiment with a power probe and see what I can get to work. I wish there was an easier way.

The spare motor I have reverses to park. I'm wondering if the one I have installed in the car is the same or is different? I wasn't aware that some reversed and some didn't. Guess I'll have to go see what it does.

How did you wire yours up? Which wire did you splice? The "A", "F1", "F2", ????????

I just went out and checked, when it's running it spins counter-clockwise, when the switch is turned off, it rotates clockwise to park. Does that mean my dreams of intermittent wipers are not going to happen?

On my 73 Valiant, I took that switch apart and whittled away the cam that caused it to rotate to low speed when pushed. Figured out how to get a single sweep but if I didn't hold the button in long enough it wouldn't work like the 67.
Reason I didn't post this earlier is because I did the 73 about 1983. That car is gone and I don't remember enough about it to be helpful.
As for the 67, soon as the weather clears I can snap a pic of how simple it is to add a scotch lock at the bulkhead terminals tying 2 wires together.

Back in the late 80's there was a control box that could be wired into a two speed wiper motor. It would not work with the 3 speed/ variable speed motor.

I've been busy working on other things on the car. I'll make it back around to this issue shortly. I wish there was a more plug n play method.

I've been busy working on other things on the car. I'll make it back around to this issue shortly. I wish there was a more plug n play method.

Don't we all?
But we don't own plug and play cars do we? :D

I've been driving it around a bit, and man would it be nice to have intermittent wipers here in the Great Northwest. I'm going to experiment soon with this module:

http://www.electronics123.com/kits-...illators/Interval-Timer-Module-Assembled.html

This module allows for an adjustable pulse so my plan is to adjust the pulse length just long enough to get the wiper arms to move past the park function, and then they will automatically return to the parked position. If this works I'm going to be so happy. I just wish I could install the controls on the turn signal stalk. Something is better than nothing I suppose.

-
Back