WIPER MOTOR INTERCHANGE

-

CFD244

"I LOST MY ID IN A FLOOD"
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks

From experience, can anyone advise if a 3 speed wiper motor from a 1972 Dart be installed in a 1972 Demon with a 2 speed motor? I am not concerned about switches or wiring. I would like to know if the linkage and pivots in the 2 speed will work with a 3 speed. I have the original factory arm on the 3 speed motor.

Thanks

It will bolt in place. The little arm that bolts to the motor is motor type and vehicle specific. As you must have figured wiring is somewhat different as the exterior ballast on the 2 speed motor is replaced by the mechanism or the Rheostat in the 3 speed or variable speed switch (3 speed and variable speed motor are the same - all in the switch)

forgot - I think the linkage is different between Dart Hardtops and Demons so you would use the Demon linkage, bushings should be the same

That's the 10 dollar question. Will a '72 3speed wiper motor and arm from a Dart work in a 1972 Demon that currently has a 2 speed motor? I have the electrical under control, I just need to know if the linkage and pivots from the 2 speed Demon will physically work with the 3 speed.

The answer is that easy. Linkage types changed around 6/1/72. Before this date they used a small black linkage connector . After this date they went to a small white keyed push on connector. Plus the little post that they connect to are shorter on the later arms. The link from the motor to the left hand pivot is also different between the 2 and 3 speed motor. I don’t know why they look identical.

The answer is that easy. Linkage types changed around 6/1/72. Before this date they used a small black linkage connector . After this date they went to a small white keyed push on connector. Plus the little post that they connect to are shorter on the later arms. The link from the motor to the left hand pivot is also different between the 2 and 3 speed motor. I don’t know why they look identical.[/QUOT

Is there any difference between the Dart body style and the Demon/Duster style?

I don't have a set off a Demon/Duster so I can't compare the part numbers. Maybe someone can post the parts numbers. I have a few sets off a Darts from 67-74

I'm guessing here, but check linkage arm part #(from motor to pivot). Parts manual will break it down if there is a difference.

-
Back