wiper problem

-

dan5354

Reaction score
Hey a-body owners - I have a strange problem that is probably just a wrong part installed on my car. My drivers side wiper hits the upper windshield gasket while the passenger side clears it easily. Both arms are 15" Anco arms which is what the chart says to replace them with when I go to the Anco site. I can't find specs on wiper length in my manual, so I was wondering if anyone can tell me what's supposed to be on my 67 Barracuda.

A 15 inch blade is attached at its center to the arm. Maybe the arm is too long, from a different car ? Measurement from back of pivot post to end of arm with blade removed ? I don't know right off what that measurement is. I can find out.

Hey Red Fish, The measurement I get from the back of the pivot point to the end not including blade is 23". When you transfer that measurement up to the top weather strip it does hit, but it doesn't on the passenger side. That would have been obvious if I turned on the wipers. Maybe they were supposed to be 14" arms?

I'll go out and get measurements and pics when the sun comes up ( I had forgot about this ). I know 15 inch blades or refills are correct for hardtop I know the post sedans have a 1.5 inch taller glass and call for a 16 inch blade / refill. I don't know if the length of the arms is different for the two.

OK, 3 sets of wiper arms here. Those not on the car aren't straight because of the tension spring at their pivot point. So... I measured all from the center of the pin at arms pivot point to the very end where the blade is attached. 12 and 5/8. A 15 inch blade is supposed to work on this arm.

Attachments

• wiper measurements.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 186
Just measured the ones on Dads 67 Fastback. 15" refill and the arm is 13 1/4" from tip of hook to the very end where it mounts to the splines. Overall is 22 1/4

This might seem like a dumb question, but does that wiper go all the way down? :)

Or is it part way up when in the park position?

Anyway, I remember 14 inch being the correct length.

This might seem like a dumb question, but does that wiper go all the way down? :)

Or is it part way up when in the park position?

Anyway, I remember 14 inch being the correct length.

That was the first question that popped into my mind. I used to see that a lot.

Well based from all the measurements given. The arms are too long. By the way they do park properly. Thanks for all the help. The more I dig into this car the more stuff I'm finding. I'm also working on the gas gauge problem they all have. I wired in a external voltage regulator, but I think the gauges were previously fried. That explains the aftermarket temp and oil pressure gauges mounted below the dash.

The windshield of a post sedan is 1.5 inches taller than no post hardtops. The sedan calls for a 16 inch blade. With arm attached at blades center the difference is only a half inch toward top and bottom. This at least suggests the wiper arm on a post sedan would be a tad longer. Regardless, if a 15 inch blade scrubs the top a 14 inch blade will lower the tip a half inch. I doubt the half inch less at the bottom would make a difference but at the same time the unwiped segment at the bottom of yours is already a little oversize due to a longer arm.

-
Back