Wiper Switches - take 5?

-

BillGrissom

Reaction score
Much confusion over the years, because as 67Dart273 has stated - "wipers are confusing". The latest thread is Wiper switch compatability?

Working under-dash on my 1965 Dart so revisiting wipers since I now have a variable-speed motor assembly from a 1963 (recall, last photo), and extra switches (2nd photo). My 1964 Valiant has a variable speed motor and switch. My Dart has a 1-speed motor - BLK (Armature) and DK BLU (Park). Currently a 2-speed switch, wired so both positions run the motor at the same speed (1st photo).

The car wiring has a "most" connector w/ 4 terminals: B (Batt, pnk), A (Armature, blk/wht), P (Park, dk blu), W (Washer, tan). Other wiring is via separate connectors. In 1966+, the wiper motor moved to the engine bay. Later motors are apparently much different, with a resistor for either 2 or 3 speeds.

Original switch is 2580174, 250 (left in photo)
1-click = 1-speed, terminals "B", "P1" + "B/U" (always connected to B), "A", "P2". It appears all the switch does is connect "A" to "B" when ON. Mine is a bit erratic. B/U is just a convenient feed (wht) to backup lamp switch. Perhaps carry-over from 1964 when B/U was in pushbutton beside wiper switch, but a long run to right kick-panel in my 1965 to (floor shift connector). The 1965 manual terms "B/U" just "B". I find the same PN on ebay, listed as "1-speed" for 1965-66 A, B, C body" also with the "P2" terminal (apparently unused). For the "W" push-switch you need PN 2497282 ($79.50, www.bradsnosmopar.com/nosmo19allpl.html).

Switch installed is 2864152, 23199, 2043 (mid in photo and w/ wiring)
2-clicks = 2 speed, terminals "B", "P1" + "B/U" (always connected to B), "A", "P2", "H", "W". The "most" connector misses "P2" and "H". They are adjacent, so perhaps picked up by a 2-pos 90 deg connector. I jumpered "A" to "H" so both clicks run the motor (but same speed). I used this switch for the washer push-button, I wired to the engine bay thru spare bulkhead terminal F (per manual). Googling found www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/threads/2-sp-wiper-switch-wiring.496629/ which looks just like my switch, so must be for the 1971 Duster there.

Spare switch is 3488781, 23199, 3191 (right in photo)
2-clicks = 2 speed, same terminals as above exc. no "W" terminal and "H" is moved (now centered).

The manual shows a "variable-speed" switch. Terminals "B", "A", "P1", "W", "F1" (red), and "F2" (yel) connectors in a different layout. F1 & F2 are "field connectors" (similar to an alternator). It appears I can't use the variable-speed motor w/ the 2-spd switch above, so will keep as spare for my 1964 or perhaps upgrade if I source a variable-speed switch. It appears there was no 2-speed wiper system in 1965- cars. Interestingly, a 3-speed motor in later cars labels some terminals "F1" & "F2", though I suspect each has series resistors. I don't see that later cars (1966+) offered a variable-speed wiper. Perhaps reliability problems (melted switch rheostats?).

2-spd switch, jumpered for 1-spd.jpg

20220323_145033.jpg

variable-speed motor.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back