wire from proportioning valve?

-

fredsmedina

6 Dart 7 MOPAR OR NOCAR
Reaction score
what is the purpose of the wire coming from the proportioning valve that goes into the wiring harness on the front brakes?

I have drum brakes all the way around..
can't figure out what purpose that wire would serve..

I think it is a warning light sensor when the master fails?

Yes, if the proportioning valve sees pressure in one circuit but not the other (front or rear brake circuit) when you press the brake pedal a little switch makes contact in the valve and lights a brake warning light on the dash.

Terry

Yes, if the proportioning valve sees pressure in one circuit but not the other (front or rear brake circuit) when you press the brake pedal a little switch makes contact in the valve and lights a brake warning light on the dash.

Terry

alright. thanks..

just going through all of the wiring in my car and making sure I know what everything is..

When your brake pedal goes to the floor and you're thinking Oh ****! a little brake light will come on on your dash to make you panic even worse!!

The wire goes to the brake light on the dash (as people correctly stated above) but more importantly it tells you if you have an imbalance inside the proportioning valve due to either the front or rear system being whacked out. It will also come on when you bleed only the front or only the rear brakes. To fix it, if you bled the fronts, you simply need to bleed the rears momentarily and the proportioning switch will center, thus turning the light off.

thanks everyone for the responses..makes sense.

now what if I do not have a stock instrument cluster? currently i don't have any guages. should i try hooking that wire up to some kind of other light?

When your brake pedal goes to the floor and you're thinking Oh ****! a little brake light will come on on your dash to make you panic even worse!!
yup,,,,,,,,,,,that about sums it up,,,,,,,,,,after almost squirting iced tea out my nose

-
Back