Wire harness cloth loom

-

1964Barracuda

Reaction score
I am building a new rear (trunk) wiring harness for my ’64 Barracuda. The wires are presently in a cloth loom. Does anyone know of a source for the cloth loom? I have been unable to find one that looks like what I have now. Could it possibly be what is called an asphalt coated loom? But there is absolutely no evidence of it ever having any asphalt. And it is cloth, not any sort of expandable plastic mesh sleeve. Photos attached.

Thanks, Ken

DSCN1570.JPG

DSCN1571.JPG

Thanks. I have seen the split loom. They all appear to be a plastic mesh, not cloth. I was more interested in cloth but may have settle on the plastic mesh.

There are also cloth, twisted, split looms if you need to go over something that as connectors already.

Amazon.com

I believe the factory did the cloth wrap on the finished harness. I worked with M&H on a non catalog harness and the set it to my before wrapping to verify fitment, I then sent it back to them to wrap.

Does someone make generic wrap like that? Don't know.

Alan

You said you'd seen the split loom but it was plastic and you wanted cloth, so I pointed you at cloth.

If you want non-split cloth loom, I see some options here, here, and (heat-shrinkable!) here.
Obviously you have looked at the original posters example in is request for a source.

None of these are remotely close to the OEM stuff he is looking for.

Alan

They're hella closer than much of what OP's mentioned looking at so far.

This isn't 1964 or '74. Many parts and supplies available then, aren't now. We do the best we can. Dude asked for options. I provided some, and he might like one or more of them. Or he might not, but either way, I bet he can speak for himself.

Thanks for your input, tho.

I don't think what he is looking for exist. This was a process done to a finished harness. It was not a tubing put over the wire it was woven over the wire.

Alan

Check with RI Wiring, the place in Texas and any others that specialize in wiring for antique cars & trucks. Maybe even Restroration Specialty Supply although wiring is not their focus.

This stuff has sortof the cross woven look but its a split that rolls up creating an overlapping seam. Glossy and bit more rigid than the real loom.
1726176229221.png

1726176277079.png

1726176519929.png

And why settle for wrong until you actually have hunted down the real thing and know its unobtainium?
I settled for this split covering because my goal was to save the as much of the original as possible while protecting the wires. But that was my goal for this particular car. So I didn't hunt further.

Last edited:
-
Back