wire size recommedation

-

mopardemon340

Reaction score
i rewired my car with a, EZ wire kit and it came with a 10g altnator bypass wire.. now is the 10g wire going to go big enough to handle my alt or should i go bigger.. keep in mind i also have a 12g wire that comes off the rear alt post that was wired into the kit. my alt is 136A. what size fuse should i put inline to protect my car also on the bypass. the other already has a fuse on it?

IS IT a "one wire" or not? You need larger wire for a one wire

There is no way a no10 is large enough for either "3 wire" or "one wire" if it's 130+A

Here is one website's opinion:

wiregauge.jpg

IS IT a "one wire" or not? You need larger wire for a one wire

There is no way a no10 is large enough for either "3 wire" or "one wire" if it's 130+A
heres my alt More Information for TYC 213824

im also a little confused.. i have 2 wires that come off the charge post.. the first wire is the wire that is wired into my wire kit must be used and is 12g. the second wire is an additional 10g wire for a bypass that EZwire said to use on alts that are larger then 80a.

Last edited:
130+ amp alternator, 6ga minimum in case it charges hard. The single run is about 7.5 feet, IIRC. You could do 8ga, but, not what I would do if I had the same parts. I think I spoke with you and didn't know the alt was that capacity. Sort of a plan for the worst approach, IMHO.

The smaller wire into the pass compartment likely has nothing to do with the charging system. That likely feeds the fuse block.

The good thing about the EZ wire approach is they are drawing off the alternator for cabin energy. Similar to how chrysler did it.

130+ amp alternator, 6ga minimum in case it charges hard. The single run is about 7.5 feet, IIRC. You could do 8ga, but, not what I would do if I had the same parts. I think I spoke with you and didn't know the alt was that capacity. Sort of a plan for the worst approach, IMHO.

The smaller wire into the pass compartment likely has nothing to do with the charging system. That likely feeds the fuse block.

Yea you spoke to me earlier but couldn't remember what you all said. 6g wire is what I will run then but what size fuse.

Last edited:
Yea you spoke to me earlier but couldn't remember what you all said. 6g wire is what I will run then but what size fuse.

I rewired my 68fastback w/ an E Z kit. I had to go to a bigger wire from my 130 amp one wire GM alternator to get the battery to charge up enough. I do not remember what size wire, I think its a 10 now. It only runs to the relay , mounted close to where the heater motor used to be, not real long. 440/505 , battery in the trunk.

I rewired my 68fastback w/ an E Z kit. I had to go to a bigger wire from my 130 amp one wire GM alternator to get the battery to charge up enough. I do not remember what size wire, I think its a 10 now. It only runs to the relay , mounted close to where the heater motor used to be, not real long. 440/505 , battery in the trunk.
thats how i currently have it but everyone is saying the wire is to small and that i need to go bigger to like a 6g

thats how i currently have it but everyone is saying the wire is to small and that i need to go bigger to like a 6g
I could be wrong on the size , it might be an 8 gauge wire, I know its not a 6. Its been a good while since I rewired it! A larger wire certainly would be easy to do, and hurt nothing if it doesn`t help !~jmo I`d try it if I was u ..............

The good thing about the EZ wire approach is they are drawing off the alternator for cabin energy. Similar to how chrysler did it.

should i remove the wire that feeds the fuse block from the alt?

-
Back