Wire up a 5.9 FI Magnum to 60's A body.

-

68383GTS

Reaction score
Ok I am old school... So my question is I have a complete 80k mile fuel injected 5.9 magnum, 46RLE transmission, complete under hood/fuel injection harness and the engine computer all out of a 99 Dakota R/T.How would I go about using all this in a 60's - 70's A body? Are there only a few wires to hook to the Dakota harness to get the fuel injection, starter,and transmission to all work in an A body Mopar. I have no clue.Easiest way I can think of is maybe use the Dakota dash harness as well but maybe not.Or go to a carb and just figure out the electrical to get the tranny to work.

The first issue if you intend to use that transmission, is chopping up the floor/ crossmember. It ain't a bolt in. Guys have done this but unfortunately documentation is flighty. First thing I'd do is get a service manual for whatever the engine came out of. Second issue seems to be "if" the original vehicle had "security" and I think that boils down to a key fob.

The first issue if you intend to use that transmission, is chopping up the floor/ crossmember. It ain't a bolt in. Guys have done this but unfortunately documentation is flighty. First thing I'd do is get a service manual for whatever the engine came out of. Second issue seems to be "if" the original vehicle had "security" and I think that boils down to a key fob.
Yes I know about both those issues. My issue is the electrical side of it.

basically you either need to
1) install and hook up pretty much everything that the stock computer normally sees so it still thinks it's in a Dak
2)hack the computer to eliminate everything you don't need / want to use
3)get a stand alone computer

I can't speak for the '99 in particular, I don't know if it has a separate body control computer that it needs to talk to.
Earlier ones were just a matter of 4 or 5 wires to hook up for basic function, beyond that (say you want to have the OBDII plug wired in under the dash for diagnostics, or wire in a CEL) would be additional. The JTEC PCMs are pretty straightforward, it's not like hacking the new hemi computers. Programming is available through anyone with SCT Tuner's Suite. You may have to run some T fittings and double up on some sensors to keep your dash readouts.
For transmission control, you'll have to dig up the schematics in the service manual and invest some time and beer deciphering that.
Someone like @TT5.9mag may be able to help with other particulars.

Last edited:
I don't think it is really all that hard. Find a service manual with wiring diagrams and start tracing wires. You will need a constant power and a switched power, and will need to wire in an ASD relay and fuel pump relay. I think that is all to make it run. Not 100% though, been a long time since I worked on mine, but that should be close.

There was a separate computer (called a CTM - Central Timing Module, I think), but it isn't needed to run the computer provided it isn't the highline one with security. Worst case, get your PCM flashed to remove it and don't run it. I have planned to run one and use the security feature, really just needs power, ground, the network wires and a signal from the door lock or a fob.

If you don't care about a CEL, ignore the emissions canister wires. If you want the light, then get the emissions checks out of the PCM or mount the canister somewhere.

For the trans, make sure to run all the wires. Pretty simple. PCM might need a speed input, but it might shift fine without it.

@68383GTS do a search here for stock magnum fuel injection threads. There are lots of them and I’ve explained a few times what “needs” to be hooked up to get it to run. You basically only need the PDC out of the engine compartment of the donor vehicle, and the harness from it to the engine. Give the main 12v lug on the PDC battery power, wire in your ignition 12 volt source, and start source, and some grounds and bada boom it runs. @Professor Fate thanks for tagging me.

@68383GTS do a search here for stock magnum fuel injection threads. There are lots of them and I’ve explained a few times what “needs” to be hooked up to get it to run. You basically only need the PDC out of the engine compartment of the donor vehicle, and the harness from it to the engine. Give the main 12v lug on the PDC battery power, wire in your ignition 12 volt source, and start source, and some grounds and bada boom it runs. @Professor Fate thanks for tagging me.
What is the PDC? Guessing maybe the under hood computer?

What is the PDC? Guessing maybe the under hood computer?
There is only one “computer”. That is refered to as the ECU. Dodge’s name for their ecu is Jtec. The PDC is the power distribution center with all of the fuses and relays contained in it.
11AA75F6-2917-47A9-ADC8-06143C979ABC.jpeg

This is a PDC from an 01 ram 2500.
The arrow was for a previous post but it’s pointing to the 12v battery source that powers the PDC.

Thanks I’ll be doing the same for a 92 360 with the carb type injectors to put in a 79 lil red.

The HP tuner is what I picked for mine. You can download the program for tuning for free and pick thru it. It's pretty powerful but still intuitive. That's what sold me on it.

Yes there's only a couple wires to hook up, and that's all the computer needs.

Don't forget you'll need a fuel pump setup of some flavor.

Thanks I’ll be doing the same for a 92 360 with the carb type injectors to put in a 79 lil red.

You should probably reconsider this plan. There's nothing for talking to those computers, they don't like change, and the EFI itself.... kinda sucks. The drawbacks of a carb, and EFI, with none of the benefits of either, all rolled into one.

The HP tuner is what I picked for mine. You can download the program for tuning for free and pick thru it. It's pretty powerful but still intuitive. That's what sold me on it.

Yes there's only a couple wires to hook up, and that's all the computer needs.

Don't forget you'll need a fuel pump setup of some flavor.

You should probably reconsider this plan. There's nothing for talking to those computers, they don't like change, and the EFI itself.... kinda sucks. The drawbacks of a carb, and EFI, with none of the benefits of either, all rolled into one.
Thanks, had no clue on that. What about the 5.7 and Nag, would that be easy? Or just stick with the 92 engine and add an intake-carb? Sorry for the hyjack, just so hungry for info-help.

Thanks, had no clue on that. What about the 5.7 and Nag, would that be easy? Or just stick with the 92 engine and add an intake-carb? Sorry for the hyjack, just so hungry for info-help.
The TBI system on the '92 and earlier engines can be made to work in your '79 Lil Red fairly easily, BUT- it's finicky, has no aftermarket tuner support, and doesn't like anything very far from a bone stock engine. Plus parts for them are starting to dry up. Most people just swap on a 4 bbl. and standard electronic ignition and call it good, although a Sniper, Atomic, Holley, etc. injection is certainly a viable alternative. I even remember reading about someone using a Holley ProJection (or was it a Commander...?) controller to run the factory TBI, but I can't find that article now.

Since people are visual creatures.....
FE0A5915-24E1-473C-981B-AB9D0788221D.jpeg

This should help. The cover for my PDC. Each relay or fuse with a white dot next to it is what is required to run. In my car I used the 46re trans and AC so those are used here but you don’t need them to run.

The TBI systems are junk and should not be considered for anything but a stock vehicle that has to pass emissions. Use an obd2 computer. 96 and newer to take advantage of the tuning capabilities we have now. Hp tuners, flyin Ryan, SCT handheld.

Just depends on how far you want to go. Magnum heads and a magnum intake is an easy swap, and that makes magnum efi easier.

But carburetors are the easiest and cheapest

-
Back