Wireing my engine start-up stand

-

Zippieisit

Reaction score
We built this real nice Mopar small block engine starting stand, now we need to build a wire harness so we can get these engines started. I am hoping one of you has a real good idea of how this should be done. We have such things as a Battery Box, on off switches, oil pressure gage, Temp. gage, (these are mechanical) electrical fuel pump, and of course a starter. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

How much "stuff" you going to run? tach?

What exact switches (photos and or links?) and what do you have for a starter switch, IE key, push button, HEAVY push button? This is going to "decide" whether you need a starter relay

What type of ignition?

Would be wise to buy yourself 2-3 inline fuse holders

I assume you will not be running a charging system.

And don't forget about the bell housing issue for the starter to mount to.

Go to AutoZone and buy one of the $11 ignition switches. It has labeled posts on it. One for battery, ignition, starter and acc. I used one on my old farm tractor and its a breeze to hook up.

Just wire it the same as you car is wired, pretty easy.
My start stand has everything, charging, fuel cell, full gauges, electric fans.

I do have an extra manual transmission bell housing if you need it.

7xbb.jpg

Was it me I'd use a fuse block with either screw terminals or spade connectors. Mount it to a flat plate and on the plate I would place a label for what each wire is. This way as age, oops! and changes take their toll on the wire they're easy to replace. I'd put all of the controls behind the bell-housing or in front of the radiator. Make access to the sides of the engine as easy as possible for running the valve lash, reading the plugs, header shape, etc.

I would suggest that you use an industrial Emergency Stop switch to turn the ignition and any electric fuel pump on and off. That way if something goes bad you can kill it easily.

-
Back