wiring check

-
To add. Power for the gages is seperate, completely seperate circuits from the power to illuminate the instrament panel.

As described above in detail by 67Dart273, the headlight switch is really several switches combined.

It has a dome light switch in it.
1685501929470.png

When you turn the knob until it clicks, a path to ground is completed. Same as if either door switch is activated.

Seperate, although it may share the same fuse as the dome light or other items, is power for the lights except the headlights.
1685502289164.png

Pulling the knob out 1 click completes the connection to the parking and tail lights, etc. It also completes the connection to the instrument panel lighting - which is further controlled by rotating the knob.

Finally there is the circuit for the headlights
Its feed has no fuse, but there is a 15 amp circuit breaker in the switch.
1685502633239.png

Last edited:
ok, I am back again. I bought a new headlight switch and in the park position and the knob most of the way to the left i have my 12 volts at the fuse but still no instrument lights. Now when I turn the knob all the way to the right I lose my voltage at the fuse. My next question is does that ipv module (or whatever it is called) on the back of the instrument panel have anything to do with the lights.

When you have 12v at the fuse, check and make sure you have 12v on the instrument panel pin that's in the circular plug that plugs into the dash circuit board.

Just a quick update, I replaced the circuit board with a new one from Mr. heaterbox ( very nice piece) and I now have dashlights along with everything else but the turn signals and horn. I am pretty sure the horn relay needs replaced but a little puzzled on the turn signals, the emergency flashers work fine but no turn signals. Anybody have any ideas on this one

Go back to post #6.
Anything aelse on that circuit work?
Go from there.

I read some old posts on a similar situation and from what I can understand is that there are 2 flashers 1 for the hazards and 1 for the turn signals correct? If this right i believe that I am missing the turn signal one by the ashtray.

Yes. Hazard flasher gets power at all times. Turn flasher energized by the ignition switch

I read some old posts on a similar situation and from what I can understand is that there are 2 flashers 1 for the hazards and 1 for the turn signals correct? If this right i believe that I am missing the turn signal one by the ashtray.

Yes, the hazard flasher is located on the left side the steering column, and the T/S flasher on the right side of the ashtray (easily accessible by sliding your hand under the dashboard)

Well everything is working now. I just want to say thanks to everyone for helping this electrically challenged dummy out and for all of your patience with me.
Thanks again
Dan

What was the fix?
Well for the dash lights it was the circuit board, once I put the new one in, wallah, dash lights. The turn signals, I did not have the flasher relay by the ashtray installed. I did attach another ground wire from the radio noise suppressor to the steering column to aid with the grounding. I did do a bench test on the old circuit board by running power to the pin for the dash light sockets and grounding the case, put the lights in one at a time and nothing lit up. I am also going to replace the voltage limiter with a new solid state one just to be safe

-
Back