Wiring Harness questions

-

Thomas Dennis

Reaction score
Since the wiring harness in my Green 75 Duster is so hacked up I'm going to pull the one out of my parts car. Both cars were /6 factory A/C cars. However the Green car had a small block in it when I got it with a destroyed wiring harness. Since the parts car wiring has all the plugs and wires I'm going to just rebuild that one. I've started marking the wires as I remove them so I know where they will go. I realize that I will have to modify a few of the connectors and wires for the V8 engine. I've got a few connectors plugged into some electrical boxes/relays that I do not know what they are for or if they will be needed on a v8. Here some pictures of the boxes relays Is picture with the single wire the temp sensor? Thanks

IMG_2328.JPG

IMG_2343.JPG

IMG_2341.JPG

IMG_2330.JPG

The rusty relay box with the red plug and yellowish wires is the much hated seat belt interlock. You need to jumper the two yellowish wires together. You can remove/ cut back the others

The black box with the white plug is not needed, smog doo-dad. You need to land yourself a proper year factory shop manual. You can buy them, various places, repop reprinted, "on cd" or originals sometimes.

Except for options like AC the 6 and V8 cars have pretty much the same "stuff" on 'em, except for harness length. So before you wrap it up and tape it up, make sure it's the right length for your swap

If there's a great big white/ creme colored connector that separates the engine from the engine bay, you need to splice all that together and eliminate that connector. You might also take the opportunity to:

Do something with the ammeter circuit aka "bypass"

Think about a relay that is triggered by the key to power underhood leads, and headlight relays.

-
Back