Wiring help

-

AdamR

Big Member
Reaction score
Today I started the fun task of wiring. I have 4 guages an electric pump and a line lock that all need to be hooked up to a switched hot. I also have to wire the lights for the guages to work with the dimmer. Were do I hook all this up to? The back of the fuse box only has one extra lead for the switched and one for the light. :?

What I would do is use that switched line you have to activate a 30 amp relay. That would give you an additional 30 amp circut of switched power. From the relay you could make an aux fuse box or just a barrier strip terminal to tap the power from. As far as you guages go, tap into the factory guage light circut so it will dim with the dash guages. If you need a wiring diagram for a 69 Cuda, I can email one to you :thumrigh:

HawaiiDuster said:
What I would do is use that switched line you have to activate a 30 amp relay. That would give you an additional 30 amp circut of switched power. From the relay you could make an aux fuse box or just a barrier strip terminal to tap the power from. As far as you guages go, tap into the factory guage light circut so it will dim with the dash guages. If you need a wiring diagram for a 69 Cuda, I can email one to you :thumrigh:

Do you happen to have a diagram for hooking up to the dimmer that would work for a 74 Dart Sport also?

I'm pretty sure that they kept the same color coding in 74 that they did in 72, so you would want to look for the Orange wire under your dash that goes into the big round connector behind your instrument panel. If you can get to your headlight switch connector easier, its the Tan wire. It starts out Tan then goes into the fuse box and comes out into two Orange wires. If you tap into the Tan wire, I would put an inline fuse just in case. Hope I didn't confuse you too much :scratch:

HawaiiDuster - I think that the way Im gonna do it. I need to add atleast 6 curcuits to power what I have. I'd like to have a few extras just incase though.

I have the entire 69 service manual on CD that you sent me still and I think I have a printed copy of the wiring somewere.

HawaiiDuster said:

That is an excellent idea, HD

:sign3:

I failed to get the engine started today. Have a new alternator, starter and fuel pump installed on a 66 273 block just put into a 65 Dart. The horn, lights and signals all work but I have no Alternator (dummy light) when I turn the key to on. There is one wire in the wire harness that has a female spade connector bundled in the harness near the alternator. It is fairly long and I see no where it should connect. Is this the reason I can not start the engine? Is this something to do with the ignition? All other wires I managed to hook up by memory when I swapped the engine after the tranny was refreshed. Any help out there on my dilemma? I' m about 1 week away from abandoning the attempt to start till next year as it is getting to cold to work on the car at this point.

I failed to get the engine started today. Have a new alternator, starter and fuel pump installed on a 66 273 block just put into a 65 Dart. The horn, lights and signals all work but I have no Alternator (dummy light) when I turn the key to on. There is one wire in the wire harness that has a female spade connector bundled in the harness near the alternator. It is fairly long and I see no where it should connect. Is this the reason I can not start the engine? Is this something to do with the ignition? All other wires I managed to hook up by memory when I swapped the engine after the tranny was refreshed. Any help out there on my dilemma? I' m about 1 week away from abandoning the attempt to start till next year as it is getting to cold to work on the car at this point.

You need to start a new thread of your own, we'll be glad to (try to) help you

Right you are regarding starting a new thread. I looked up and down for the button to start a new thread (which I've done in other forums) but grew frustrated and attempted this way. Sorry. If I get it figured out I will start a new thread.

Thanks
You need to start a new thread of your own, we'll be glad to (try to) help you

Add a big wire to the starter relay, and go from there. Just use that terminal as a 12 volt junction. Won't hurt it.

-
Back