Wiring issue, need help

-

Duece

Duece
Reaction score
Electrical has always been my Achilles heel....

Everything working good until the other day. As I was driving my stereo turned off and then turned back on. It continued to do this and would not stay on for more than 4-5 seconds. I traced all the wires, found a loose ground connection so repaired and everything seemed to be fine.

Went to pull the car out of the garage and as soon as I tapped the brakes the stereo died again. Traced the wires under the dash but found no shorts or loose wires but every time I tap the brakes the stereo would die.

The next day driving to work, noticed that my headlights seemed dimmer than usual. I stopped for fuel on my way home and when I went to start it...nothing. Dash lights came on as well as heater fan when I turned the key but nothing on the ignition (no clicks, ticks or anything). After third try the car fired right up

Headlights are barely on now, and ignition is completely dead but all instruments are working fine (except stereo which wont even turn on)

Kind of stumped here, any input would be greatly appreciated!

So you need some kind of help with some kind of car that has some kind of stereo.
Good luck with that.
What year model car is helpful. What time of day you stopped for gas, not so much.

Sounds like your battery is almost dead and/or you have a loose connection and/or bad grounds. Better read up on some basic automotive electrical before you ask to many more questions. You need to be specific with regards to your problem.

Start with recharging the battery. Sounds like you have a short draining your system or bad connections not allowing you to get full power to the load.

Also noticed that you are looking for all your problems under the dash. Try popping the hood and look there. Lots more wires coming into the bulkhead connector that could be problematic. Get a wiring diagram at Mymopar.com for your car.

get a volt ohm meter and learn how to use it. then a wiring diagram and learn how to read it. next follow the power through the bulk head connector and see if it made it through without a voltage drop. also leave the head lights on wile you are checking so their is a load on it. it should stay near 12 volts.semi easily access test points are fuse box and head light switch.a possible problem is bulk head connector. this is a good opportunity for u to learn..

So you need some kind of help with some kind of car that has some kind of stereo.
Good luck with that.
What year model car is helpful. What time of day you stopped for gas, not so much.

HOLY COW red yer beginnin' ta sound like ME

"It's blue."

To the OP. Frankly, these girls can have a LOT of problems, depending on their history. This may not be an easy fix, IE it might have several problems. If you can learn to deal with wiring you can work through it. Otherwise, a "local helper" would be a good idea

...........Yeh but..........LOL I can't tell from that photo what year it is? was? And there were wiring changes almost every year from 70, so................???

My apologies, I am a newb. I will be more clear next time (72 valiant btw)

Thanks for the info

-
Back