wiring on aftermarket alternator

-

street demon

Reaction score
I just bought a small alternator and it came with a jumper wire for the field to make it a one wire alternator. It says in the instructions that with the jumper wire the alt. pulls 300mill amps. I could just run a whole new wire for an ignition point but don't want to. So I was wondering if I can just one of the normal field wires. Will that work or withe voltage regulator prevent it from having a full 12 volts all of the time? Oh the new wire is self regulating to 14 volts.

0127081314[1].jpg

0125081446[1].jpg

GM ran another wire to theirs for years before they realized a jumper from battery post to enegize the field would work. They dropped the extra wire and put the jumper right there for everyone to see.
This way of wiring depends on the wiring inside the alternater though. As long as it doesn't create a constant draw on the battery at switch off, its fine.

There will be a drain on the battery hooked up this way and I want to get around it. Just need to know if one of the OEM wires from the voltage regulator will give 12 volts all the time(I'm only hooking up one wire)

yup on the later mopars with 2 field wires the blue one is switched 12 volts, green is field.

Thanks for the info. Just really didn't want a constant drain on the battery or that alternator energized all the time.

-
Back