Wiring question, ammeter and MAD

-

ed1946

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
72 dart with 98 magnum engine. Will be using high amp alt. from magnum. Don't need or want ammeter, going to volt meter. Does anybody have a wiring diagram that would solve my needs? There seems to be dozens of ideas on FABO, don't know which one to use.

That last one seems to be the most used, don't know if the easiest but would work. I'm going to try and run a hei distributor similar to a GM one. Won't need a ballast resistor.

You could put both ammeter lugs onto either 1 of the studs (which results in bypassing the ammeter).

I post the MAD article a lot MOSTLY to show why you need to deal with the bulkhead terminals/ ammeter issue. Crackedback sells a bypass cable kit. Essentially, you do not NEED to bypass the thing as MAD does. You can simply run a big *** wire from the alternator direct to the battery WITH APPROPRIATE fuse link/ breaker protection, AND be sure your bulkhead terminal is in good shape AND either bypass the ammmeter by jumpering the wires together, or at least make certain the ammeter and wiring terminals are in good shape.

I post the MAD article a lot MOSTLY to show why you need to deal with the bulkhead terminals/ ammeter issue. Crackedback sells a bypass cable kit. Essentially, you do not NEED to bypass the thing as MAD does. You can simply run a big *** wire from the alternator direct to the battery WITH APPROPRIATE fuse link/ breaker protection, AND be sure your bulkhead terminal is in good shape AND either bypass the ammmeter by jumpering the wires together, or at least make certain the ammeter and wiring terminals are in good shape.
Sounds like a plan, will see if I can msg crackhead.

LOL "crackedback" He might not appreciate "the other"

Thanks... I've been called MUCH worse!!! LOL

No need to chop up the harness. Bypass the ammeter by bolting the two terminals together with machine screw/nylock nut, elec tape and shrink tube. I don't like hooking them to one terminal as the shorting risk to your instrument cluster still exist.

Make sure the bulkhead where the black alt wire and red wire from battery pass through. Repair, clean as necessary and go!

Thanks... I've been called MUCH worse!!! LOL

No need to chop up the harness. Bypass the ammeter by bolting the two terminals together with machine screw/nylock nut, elec tape and shrink tube. I don't like hooking them to one terminal as the shorting risk to your instrument cluster still exist.

Make sure the bulkhead where the black alt wire and red wire from battery pass through. Repair, clean as necessary and go!
Sorry about that, sent pm

-
Back