wiring starter button

-

DART66GT

62 Lancer GT - B Body 8 3/4
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am wiring a starter button into my 66 Dart. The key will be turned and then the button will be used for the starter. I am also installing the battery in the trunk at the time. Any suggestions on easiest way to wire and or things to look out for? Thanks......

Just be sure you have good current paths for hot and ground to the starter. You'll want to use #1 or #0 multi-strand cable for the hot side. be sure the chassis ground connections are clean or (and I would) run a separate ground cable the same size as the hot. I'm wondering why use a starter button instead of the key switch. By all means make yourself happy, but I like the key starter just fine - or it's just what I'm used to...

Just bumping this up. I have the main battery and alternator wiring done. I'm just looking for ideas on the starter button thanks..........

Just bumping this up. I have the main battery and alternator wiring done. I'm just looking for ideas on the starter button thanks..........

You really wouldn't need a real high current capable switch just to turn the starter relay on the firewall on. For safety's sake, I think I would use a switch with a hood over it, like some racecars use. I've seen 'em in race parts catalogs. You have to flip the hood, or cover up to press the button. Just keeps ya from engaging the starter when you don't want or need to.

My Easiest suggestion is to wire the + Batt wire thru a dissconnect switch Directly to the starter. From that point, Run another say 6-8GA wire to a Fuse box, My fuse box and Starter Switch came from a boat. Also, wire your alternator output to the battery side of the disconnect switch. The starter solonoid will take about a 15 amp circuit and a decent HD momentary (spring loaded) Switch

-
Back