Wiring up a 2 speed wiper switch with Painless

-

Stanfs02

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Greetings from the UK.

I have a 66 Dodge Dart I'm currently restoring. I'm currently changing the wiring to a Painless kit, and wondered if anyone could help with the specifics around the wiper switch.

I currently have it wired up as per the original loom, apart from the very bottom connection (has the silver metal swooping thing on it sorry I'm no expert) . I was hoping one of you know where this connection should go to as it definitely not to ground,and the original wiring diagram shows it running to reverse, but not sure this will work with painless.

If anyone's wired one up with a painless kit before I'd really appreciate your input.

(switch like the image attached... Image from Google and just for ref)

Thanks
Stan

NOS-1966-67-Mopar-Variable-speed-wiper-washer-switch-Plymouth.jpg

Refer to documentation concerning the original wiring. Any way you slice it you need a "key on" wire and an "always hot" wire into the wiper circuit Also some switches require the switch be grounded for operation.

Refer to documentation concerning the original wiring. Any way you slice it you need a "key on" wire and an "always hot" wire into the wiper circuit Also some switches require the switch be grounded for operation.

Thanks for that mate. I've tried to ground it on that particular pin and it just blows the fuse. I've also just tried 'always on' power and that hasn't helped either. It's very strange.

Well you have to have both switched power and "always on". The always on is for the parking circuit, the switched power runs the "normal" operation. Download a service manual for closest year you can find you yours and look over not only the diagrams, but read the section 8 section on wipers. What you might do is when you think you have it figured, "mock" it up and get it to work, then put into the car harness

You have to have the correct switch, IE 2 speed for 2, 3 speed for 3, etc I believe the 2 speed motor is also used for the variable speed switch (just "off" detent, then "smooth" turning to adjust speed

Are you saying you don't have power to the wiper motor after everything is wired but that last terminal? Have you tested the wipers?

I believe that last terminal is for back up lights. I re wired my car with an EZ wire kit (very similar) and didn't use that terminal, due to the aftermarket shifter I have.

Yeah it's all wired up, and is making the wipers move, but when I turn the dial to turn them off they don't stop. I have to then click the dial as if I'm turning them on again and they stop. It's so strange. Any ideas fellas?

-
Back