Wish my Valiant ran this cool!

-

4mulaSvaliant

Reaction score
Hey guys any guess as to why my 81 D150 /6 will not hit 180*? I thought maybe the thermostat was stuck open so I replaced it last night with a new 180* and it still doesnt make it past 160* I let the damn thing sit in the drive way for atleast 30 min. last night after changing it and still didnt change anything. Same results this morning on the way to work. I think Ill try a good ol' truckers trick. Im going to try blocking off part of the radiator and see if that helps. Any ideas though? I wish my Valiant ran this cool. It runs at 210*

Did you check your gauge? Stick a thermometer in the rad.

Watch out covering the rad. It'll get really hot when the ambient temp goes up; or running on the highway w/o airflow.

I'd guess too little advance on the timing and a little too rich of a mixture. My slant ran REALLY cool until I bumped the timing and drove it on the hwy.. I will say that even now it will only get hot enough to use the heater after about 10 minutes of driving and that is in 50* weather... I had to throw a thermometer in the rad just as a sanity check to make sure the gauge wasn't hosed

Yeah I put 2 different gauges on it. They both read the same. I may just try to advance the timing anyhow. This thing has all that 80's emissions crap too. I have gone through and replaced all the vac. lines in an attempt to make it all work properly, but Im positive it isnt working like its supposed to and in turn Im pretty sure it does run lean too! We'll see this weekend. I plan to give it a little attention provided the weather permits. Thx guys.

I'm not too familiar with the lean burn computer stuff, but I remember reading somewhere that if the computer gets funny readings it will retard the timing.I would also bet that the thing gets horrible MPG even for a truck

Yeah I am fortunate I dont have to commute very far with it anymore. It only gets around 11 mpg. Im sure that the lean burn crap isnt worth a damn at this point. I have thought of getting rid of it but Im not looking forward to getting into all that.

Do you eventually get heat from the heater? If so, the thermostat is opening, because there is no coolant circulation with it closed. Since you've checked the guage, the next steps would be to check the sending unit and the wiring/connectors. I'm away from my books, but didn't most of the smog motors run 190-195 degree thermostats?

If you've gotten used to the new alloy block cars that put ought heat in the first mile, remember that these oldies use cast iron. By comparison, they take forever to heat and to cool down, too

-
Back