With LoJack dead in the US, what is a classic car GPS tracking alternative?

-

Lord Sparky

Reaction score
With LoJack dead in the US as of 2021, what is a classic car GPS tracking alternative? I want a unit with a separate battery (as I disconnect my batter when not driving) and it would be helpful if the system was connected to the police like LoJack was.

SPOT has trackers. I use one for flying so the wife and kids know where to find me, when I don't come home from my last back lake fishing trip.

Go buy a burner phone,

Find a out of the way place in the trunk

Tap into a hot wire or run a new one.

Get a low cost cell plan

Download a find my phone app.

Cell phone stays charged and if battery was disconnected will work for a day?

Only issue I can see is if phone battery died and phone needed to reboot.

We put an air tag in our son's car the only problem is IT TELLS HIM IT'S THERE WHEN HIS PHONE IS NEAR!!! He was warned NOT to mess with it OR the keys will be taken. It also is slow and not in real time (it will tell you where the car was 18 minutes ago not right this minute) We're looking for one with GPS to monitor speeding as well?

I agree with a $25/mo burner phone with free life360 app on it. It monitors location in real time for free , Also does speed and even history of driving with a cheap monthly fee. Tap a RUN feed for a battery charger so when its off its on internal battery. Only issue is that you got about 18 hours before the phone battery dies. It gets the location pretty close, I can follow my wife right up to the door when shes shopping, but my kid had it on his phone and it once told me he was 2 blocks off campus (he wasnt) but the app reported it. 5 minutes later it showed him on campus. Just a glitch but if your looking for a car in a garage or something, Im not sure if it would get you to an address, more like the street and 6 houses.

I use an Apple Airtag. I removed the built-in "speaker", and hid it in a magnetic case in the car. Works great for me, and no ridiculous subscription fee. Will it inform me if the car is stolen? No, that's the job of an alarm system. But the app let's me know where the car ends up when it's moved to a new location.

Isn't that assuming it finds wifi to attach to?
From the link I posted .

When youʼve left something far behind, like at the beach or the gym, the Find My network — hundreds of millions of iPhone, iPad and Mac devices around the world — helps track down your AirTag. And it is designed to protect your privacy every step of the way

Last edited:
I was just on the lo-jack website and Amazon is selling it.

Where did you hear that lo-jack was no more?

I was just about to post the same thing. I do work for a dealership that installs LoJack on EVERY car that hits their lot for sale?

Optimus Tracker... I have two of them now.. Works incredibly well... You barely touch the car and I get a text and an email virtually real time... I had a car transported from Texas to California through Texas, New Mexico, Arizona & and California...
Passing through remote areas of Texas New Mexico & Arizona I knew every where my car went, fuel stops, meal stops, sleep stops... I knew the speed the car was travelling... Oh, the car was inside an enclosed trailer.. So when people tell you it doesn't work in buildings & in rular areas I say otherwise & I have real evidence..

I bought it through Amazon, cost about $50... The app can be loaded on Apple & Windows based phones, tablets & computers... There is a $12 monthlu charge...

I spent a lot of money on a lojack with the early warning system that was supposed to call me if the car was moving without the key fob and am not happy to hear this. Lojack should be communicating with its customers about their buisness plans

This seems Interesting . ?

AirTag - Apple (CA)
Apple set the security up to prevent tracking people. The thief will get a message:

The first is if you’ve got an updated iOS device and it recognizes an AirTag that doesn’t belong to you, you’ll receive a notification telling you as much. From there, you can see how long it’s been with you, and the route it’s tracked.

From the notification, you’ll be able to disable the AirTag so that it can no longer track your location. You should also contact your local police department if you suspect you’re being tracked.

AirTags will start playing noises randomly between 8 to 12 hours after they are separated from their owner. Apple would originally only allow the AirTags to start making noise after three days, but cut it down over concerns about misuse.

I spent a lot of money on a lojack with the early warning system that was supposed to call me if the car was moving without the key fob and am not happy to hear this. Lojack should be communicating with its customers about their buisness plans
Supposedly, they still support existing units, but for how long?

Optimus Tracker... I have two of them now.. Works incredibly well... You barely touch the car and I get a text and an email virtually real time... I had a car transported from Texas to California through Texas, New Mexico, Arizona & and California...
Passing through remote areas of Texas New Mexico & Arizona I knew every where my car went, fuel stops, meal stops, sleep stops... I knew the speed the car was travelling... Oh, the car was inside an enclosed trailer.. So when people tell you it doesn't work in buildings & in rular areas I say otherwise & I have real evidence..

I bought it through Amazon, cost about $50... The app can be loaded on Apple & Windows based phones, tablets & computers... There is a $12 monthlu charge...
These look like the best alternative, but sadly, it’s now $20/month.

Lojacks support was / is not that great I tried to test the early warning system several times and it never worked so I finally bitched them out and they replaced my sending unit which requires taking the interior apart that I had just finished only to find out from the tech that in order for the early warning to work I had to drive the car with the key fob and then it had to move without the key fob for at least 20 minutes which I tested after he told me and it still never gave me any notification
so, I have a new unit but still don't know if it would ever work and how long do I want their battery inside the body panel of my car wtf

-
Back