WIW 1971 Duster H code 4 Speed.

-
If your serious about the car. Here's where I would start . First find vin number on block trans etc. See if they match. Then I'd wanna see build sheet to verify options. Then when u have that info come back here and let us read through it all 2 help u
It says already it's NOT numbers matching

J54 is the sport hood code. Go to Hamtramck-historical.com and look at the Duster 1970-1971 option code books and you'll see no sport hood option available on 340 Duster.

Yes they are all added. Just a matter of drilling holes. And notice scoop location varies with these bolt on additions. Some look downright goofball.
Thank you for that, that's crazy... they look right at home on those cars !

1st number that popped into my head - 27. Sweet looking Duster. The more you pay the more fun you need have. That is a pretty one.

Remember, Puff Puff, Pass! $40G's for a Duster is insane! Not saying it's not gorgeous because it is. It's a 20-25K car and no more you can buy very nice B and E cars for that!

There is a 70 Road runner 440+6 V code. for less money on FBBO right now. And it looks better than the duster

Remember, Puff Puff, Pass! $40G's for a Duster is insane! Not saying it's not gorgeous because it is. It's a 20-25K car and no more you can buy very nice B and E cars for that!

IF it was restored to a very high quality, numbers motor, sheet, AND was an original V3 sunroof car... I could see it being a $30-$40K+ car. Many could consider that one of the most rare and desirable 70-71 340 a bodies.

Hate to say it, a restored real black 340 4 speed, soft top car, would get 40K plus easily!

As mentioned, no scoops on 340 Dusters. This seems to be one of the bigger boo boo's by mopar when these cars were built. I bet it would have been a big seller on option sheets if available.

Not sure exactly how VIN numbers work but I thought they (sequence number) followed (near) to the order that they were produced even if they were different models. That being said , the number on that duster is much higher than my '72 Demon. If I am wrong would someone please correct me and enlighten me.
Yote

Last edited:
Hate to say it, a restored real black 340 4 speed, soft top car, would get 40K plus easily!

As mentioned, no scoops on 340 Dusters. This seems to be one of the bigger boo boo's by mopar when these cars were built. I bet it would have been a big seller on option sheets if available.

Heck even without the top added, restored to tag and a little nicer, I can see it hitting $30K or over.

I know someone that bought a little nicer condition 70 340 4 speed black NOM w/sheet Duster for $25K plus coast to coast shipping.

Any proof of this, I thought the twin scoops and dual snorkel were options even on the 340 cars ? ... so every 340 duster(70-71) with scoops was added after production ?

The 1971 Duster 340 came standard with a flat stock body color hood. The option
was the V24 organsol black with 340 wedge call out decal. If you ordered the A51 Twister package (6 cyl or 318) you got the ladder stripe decal on the hood and the twin scoops was optional on that package. The 1970 340 Duster had no hood options. The 1972 340 Duster again had no optional hood scoops and was never offered with a rear deck wing spoiler either unless purchased at and installed at the dealership. 1970 and 1971 were the only two years a spoiler was offered. The mustang style on 1970 and very early 1971, and the gull wing on 1971 models.

1971-plymouth-duster-a51-twister-package-38000-original-miles-3.jpg

1971_dusterad.jpg

OP it's worth exactly what you are willing to pay. You should see well and clear by now that the opinions on the price is going to vary..... You won't like my number as others won't either but we all have a number in our heads as to what something is worth.

It boils down to your disposable income honestly. It may not be alot of money to you. To me it will be different..... About the only thing I would say is that the car looks like a wolf in sheeps clothing. I am not a fan of someone paying an absorbent price to a stealership for something like this. But for the price I would suggest a few things..... If I remember right the Tachometer was not working at the time this car was on Ebay last year and IMO if you are doing this type of restoration everything needs to be in proper working order..... EVERYTHING..... But I may be wrong about that totally....

Documentation, videos, pictures, any literature as to how the car was brought to the condition it is and what was the condition of it before hand. Pay someone (I don't know who) to evaluate the car top to bottom. If you are paying this kind of money for the car, expect to pay someone well for an evaluation. Outside of that it's your money and nobody should tell you what to do with it but certainly read all reply's to your thread.....

Good luck OP,
JW

Heck even without the top added, restored to tag and a little nicer, I can see it hitting $30K or over.

I know someone that bought a little nicer condition 70 340 4 speed black NOM w/sheet Duster for $25K plus coast to coast shipping.

My number is for a complete numbers matching perfect car with documentation that the soft top was a factory piece and not a dealer add on.

That car is nowhere near that from what I see.

"There is a 70 Road runner 440+6 V code. for less money on FBBO right now. And it looks better than the duster"

It's less $$$ because it doesn't have the original engine, rust popping through lower qtrs & will need to be repainted to be really NICE.

I say this. Take any car, advertise it correctly for a reasonable length of time, if it does not bring your price, it is probably priced higher than the market will bear. A car siting in a "classic" dealer showroom with countless restored cool cars, they bring more $$ than sitting in "Joe's " home garage, same car. And the customer that goes to such dealer, is looking for pay more than if he did the leg work and went shopping with private individuals. A lot of cool cars in ONE location. Another reason cars can bring stupid prices at BJ>

-
Back