Wobbly harmonic balancer

-

joes68340s

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 71 D100 that was converted from 6 to small block. I have noticed that at idle the balancer has a wobble. I checked for crank walk it seems good. When rotating the engine you can see it as it closes the gap with the timing marker almost touches then back to an 1/8 in gap. I have never seen this before. Could this be the balancer slip on the rubber ring.

I vote replace it before it comes off there! Cuz if it does, it's gonna do a lot of damage.
Altho, I have seen lots with minor wobbles, like 3/64 or perhaps as much as 5/64. These were on lo-po, low-rpm, engines and ran that way, for all the time I had them. My slanty still wobbles a tad

My neighbors Lexus was sounding like he had a squealing belt for a while. He couldn't figure it out. The squeal quit when the balancer came apart.

I think it has slipped as the lower pulley doesn’t wobble on the solid part of the balancer.

If you're able to keep it wobbling, esp at higher rpm's,,,you might be able to get the wobble to stop on it own,
20171106_182158.jpg

Yeah, probably need to start doin some checkin.

It smoothed out those pesky sharp fins on the radiator, and played hell on the fan blade, but otherwise not bad,,,it only vibrated for a cpl seconds

-
Back